Creating custom issue type with required field?

Steven Miller April 15, 2021

This seems like a very standard scenario but I can't find anything in the UI that looks like it would achieve what I'm trying to do.

I'm trying to add a custom issue type, say a request specific to one of our websites. A customer will want to provide an account number, along with some other standard info from their end when they call our service desk. So a tech support user on our end will be filling in this data. We would like to track these in required fields in the issue for later reporting.

So ideally the tech support user can select the 'website bug' issue type, which will cause the new ticket to have required fields for 'account number' and some other things presented.

How is this achievable/Is this achievable with service management?

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2021

Hi @Steven Miller

if I got you right it should suffice to put the field in question to the Create Screen of the respective Jira Service Management project.

This will also allow agents to fill in the information needed.

In your project you can reach this via "Project Settings" >> "Screens" >> you need to pick the appropriate screen there (Create/Edit/View).
Likely you will want to add the field to all of them.
Please also make sure you pick the correct one (Problem / Resolution in your case, according to screenshot).

I will link the documentation here in case further investigation is desired:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/manage-issue-screens/

If a field is required or optional (as you asked also for that) can be adjusted in the corresponding "Field Configuration" that is assigned to your project:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/change-a-field-configuration/

Please let us know if this was what you were looking for.

0 votes
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2021
Steven Miller April 16, 2021

Hi, thank you. I am part of the way there now. 

So on the customer end I can see the field when I create a ticket from their side of the portal. However most tickets end up being created by agents as a lot of requests come in over the phone.'

So how can I make this new field which is visible from the customer side visible to the agent when creating a ticket in the portal with this specific request type?

2021-04-16 07_38_25-Agency Service Desk - Ticket types - Jira Service Management and 2 more pages - .png2021-04-16 07_41_44-Create issue - Jira Service Management and 2 more pages - Work - Microsoft​ Edge.png

Steven Miller April 16, 2021

I found someone else asking the same question here: How to set a custom field values based on request ... (atlassian.com)

Is this functionality possible? This seems like a fairly standard function in most helpdesk platforms I have worked with.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events