Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating automation for identifying duplicate by custom field

Ahmet Cayir September 8, 2022

Hi,

Is it possible to run a JQL Query to identify duplicate issues from a customfield? 

For example, Issue A has 'customfield123' (correlation id) which has the value 'INC12345' and I'd like to identify other issues B/C/D that have the same value as 'INC12345' in their 'customfield123'.

The objective is to create a Automation rule that can identify duplicates , link them and then another automation to delete those linked as duplicate.

I'm trying to follow How Delete Issue with the same name (atlassian.com) however this refers to using the summary field, I would like to use a customfield which is our accurate way of identifying the duplicates for our purpose as we have unique issues with the same summary.

What is the branch rule / related issue JQL query we need to use for this objective?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2022

@Ahmet Cayir -

Welcome to the community.  Yes, you can use JQL and query against your custom field that have the same value in your custom field.

It will look something like -

project = <projectkey> and customfield = 'INC12345'  (NOTE - On your custom field testing, it will depend on the field data type which control on the operator(s) that you can use.  Example - if your custom field is a single line of text data type, then you can only use ~, !~, is, is not operators for testing the value)

In regards to Automation Rule setup, you need to first determine what is the triggering event, For a triggering event that uses JQL, you can only use "Scheduled" event, where you can add components of the rule using condition/branching that uses JQL.

Here is a link on Branching rule via Automation for Jira - https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/branch-automation-rules-to-perform-actions-on-related-issues/

Lastly, there is no branching rule via JQL directly.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Todd Skelton December 28, 2023

The initial question, which I also have, is:

I have multiple issues, all with the same value in Customfield123. The objective being to find all issues where the value in Customfield123 (issue A) equals the value in Customfield123 (issues, B, C and D).

Don't want to write my automation to search for a set value, but rather search for issues with the same value in a given custom field.

Franziska Thiemann
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 8, 2024

Hi @Todd Skelton ,

did you make any progress on your problem? As I want to match bugs, that have the same error message.

Greetings
Franziska

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events