Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an Assets Automation for License Management

Emma Hay
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 28, 2022

Hello,

I have just started to use Assets and using it for the purpose of hardware and license management. 

I want to set up an automation that when a license is about to expire, an email is sent or a Jira issue ticket is created but I seem to be having some issues getting this to work.

The license objects all have the attribute "License Expiry Date" which is a date type value. I want to create a weekly scheduled automation that can then raise a ticket/send email when the license object is about to expire within the next 30 days. 

I am using global automation. I can only use AQL on an object if the trigger is when an object is updated, created or deleted. This is not ideal. If I want to run a scheduled trigger, it needs to be an Assets issue field that's already in a Jira issue, correct? I seem to be getting a little confused here. 

What is the best solution to set up such an automation? Looks like it would have been easy if the automation tab was still within the object schema configuration and it seems rather confusing within the global automation rules. 

Thank you for any feedback to help me get into the right direction.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2022

Hi @Emma Hay,

the following setup should work for you (Ablaufdatum is my "License Expiry Date"):

Screenshot 2022-10-29 at 22.07.12.png

Emma Hay
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 31, 2022

Hello @Kai Becker 

Thanks for your help here! My mistake was not creating a new branch. I was creating a new object condition which in hindsight is rather daft. Really appreciate your help here. Got the automation working smoothly now. 

Best,

Emma 

Like # people like this
Morten Dieckmann-Keden August 2, 2023

Hello @Kai Becker 

I have the same question only that the automation must be done in the asset section of Jira Service Management and not in the automation section of the project.
It is basically about a similar case with the license management issue. As a license manager, I want to get an overview or information when a license is close to the end date (expiration date).
I want to create an automation so that a Jira task is created when a license reaches the End Date in 2 months.
I have tried it so far as follows (see screenshot).

Thank you very much in advance.

Screenshot 2023-08-02 165311.png

Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2023

Hi @Morten Dieckmann-Keden 

would you mind creating a separate question, as you are using a different technique on a different plattform?

You are running Jira on server/dc which has this old style integration. Emma uses cloud, where Asset automations are integrated. 
As a hint, I would switch JQL from trigger and condition and do not use = but instead <= oder >= as = would compare to the exact timestamp of the rule execution.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events