Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create ticket subject based on selection in custom field

Chris Stival January 5, 2022

Hi All :-)

For internal IT, we are using a custom field in the portal to allow our users to request either access, software, or hardware. This is done via a custom field (picker) that has subcategories. What we want, is that when the user requests for example:

Software

- Adobe Photoshop

...that the ticket summary will be auto generated to include both tiers of the custom field. In effect, the ticket would say something like this:

Request: Software - Adobe Photoshop

This would give us meaningful summary entries in the agent view that would be made in a consistent way, without any agent intervention.

Has anyone here done this before with the tools included in JSM and not via the Marketplace?

2 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2022

Hey @Chris Stival 

Yes this is possible via Automation for Jira in Jira Cloud. With the help of smart values one can achieve this.

Please take a look at this rule I configured and it ran successfully changing the summary.

AAAA.png

Rule details:

Trigger: Issue Created

Condition: N/A

Action: Edit Issue --> Select "Summary" field.

In the Summary box add these 

Request: {{triggerIssue.fields.customfield_10057.value}} {{triggerIssue.fields.customfield_10057.child.value}} {{issue.summary}}

Note that as per your requirement you my have to change the customfield_id (in my case it was: customfield_10057) of the cascade field. And at the end have added a code to append summary too.

Result:AAAAA.png

Also you can add condition to the automation as per your requirement.

You can build on this sample provided :)

Hope this helps !

Regards,

Vishwas

2 votes
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2022

Hi @Chris Stival You can do this by creating an Automation rule , using Automation for JIRA which comes by default in JIRA Cloud. Use trigger create issue and Action Edit issue. Select summary field and add json function. Some similar post link are shared below :- 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/automation-for-jira-copy-parent-value-of-cascading-field-to-another-custom-field-1035240617.html

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-questions/Copy-two-cascading-field-values-from-Parent-to-Sub-task/qaq-p/1632481

Thanks

V.Y

Chris Stival January 6, 2022

Thanks V.Y. I'll give that a try :-)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS