Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create issue - unable to assign user to an issue from console and api as well

Vikas Mahajan March 22, 2023

I have the administrator role for a project but I still can't assign users to an issue. I have checked and the administrator role has the permissions to assign users to an issue in the permission scheme, I have also checked the screen scheme and it already has the Assignee field configured. The view/edit issue screen has the assignee field. I have tried doing this from Jira rest API also and it didn't work. I tried from the main JIRA admin account and that didn't work too. I am able to add different fields to the screen scheme and I can see the changes being reflected but the problem seems to be only with the Assignee field.

Kindly , help me with this.

1 answer

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2023

@Vikas Mahajan -

You should use the "Permission Helper" functionality against the issue which you are having problem with not able to assign the issue -

Project settings >> Permission >> click ont "Permission Helper"

2023-03-22_22-15-23.png

• In the User field - Key in your account name.
  • In the Issue field - Key in the issue key.
  • In the Permission field - Select "Assign Issues"
  • Afterward, click on the Submit button.  It will give you a verification that you have the correct configuration or possible issues.

I would also recommend you to compare your account with someone else account (one who can assign issue) to see what is the difference between the accounts.

Lastly, is the "Assignee" field grayed out when you viewing the issue in the project UI? + Have you also verify who are the people that you can assign issues to (Are the "ServiceDesk Team" role populated with agent accounts for the project)?

Please let me know.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Vikas Mahajan March 23, 2023

Hey Joseph, I used permission helper and this is what I got for the assign issues permission - 'your users need to be Agents in Jira Service Desk. Please see this article to set this, section Agents in Jira Service Desk -> Giving them application access to Jira Service Desk Cloud.'

So, I went ahead gave myself multiple roles - administrator and service desk team but I still can't assign issues

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2023

@Vikas Mahajan -

It is still not clear are you not able to assign issue or not seeing the listing of users to assign the issue.  Please advise.

Also can you see if you have actual agent license assigned to your account?

To access this information, you need to be the Site/System admins right:

1) Click on the clog wheel symbol (Settings) upper right of the window and select the Billing option.

2023-03-23_21-18-14.png

2) Access the Billing tab in admin.atlassian.com ui, click on the number link under the Users column to determine if your account is listed or not.  If not, you need to give your account to JSM agent license.

2023-03-23_21-19-26.png

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events