Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create automatic follow up story

Stefan November 10, 2021

Hello community,

I wanted to know if it is possible when creating a story that automatically creates a follow-up story. 

Example: 

I have created a/b test in a story, I automatically want to add a follow-up to analyze the results (in the next sprint).

Hope some of you have more experience in this.

With kind regards,

Stefan 

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2021

Hi @stefan bruijns , welcome to the Community! This is certainly possible.

You can create an automtion rule as follows:

Trigger: Issue Created

Condition: Issue fields condition, then select Issue Type and Story in the dropdowns.

I would also add another condition so that your follow-up task is only created when you are creating an A/B Test issue. This could be a component called A/B Test or some kind of unique identifier which you would set when creating the A/B Test issue, and you would set this when you are wanting to create a follow-up task for the Story. If you don't have this, then the automation rule will create a story, which will trigger the rule, which will create a story... etc etc.

Action: Create Issue - you can set the Summary of this follow-up story to always be the same, or you can use smart values to pull through values from the triggering Story (e.g. issue key, Summary of the A/B Test story, or any other field values attributed to the triggering story). You can add any other fields you want to copy across from the triggering story to the new story using the dropdown, then by clicking on the 3 dots next to the field you can pull through the values.

You might also want to link the newly created story to the triggering story, which you can do using a branch.

See the screenshots below as an example of how you could set this rule up.

Hope this helps!

rule.pngcreate issue.pnglink issue.png

Stefan November 10, 2021

Hi Callum,

Thanks for your explanation!

Is it also possible to add a checkbox or anything that automatically does this? So If I start with creating a story, I can mark/check the box, and it will automatically add a follow-up story with [{story_name} + analyze].

So that I don't have to make a lot of triggers based on when the text contains the A/B test in this case.

Callum Carlile _Automation Consultants_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2021

@stefan bruijns Yeah this would also work fine! You would still use the above automation rule, but change the trigger to Field value changed and select your field - for this field, I would recommend a Checkbox field with a single value (I have done this previously using the text symbol of as the single value, which works as a nice simple tickbox).

And for the creation of the follow-up story, you would want to use something similar to the following in the Summary of the newly created ticket:

{{issue.summary}}: Analyze

So if your triggering issue is called "This is the story", once you tick the tickbox on the issue, it would create another issue called "This is the story: Analyze"

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2021

Hi @stefan bruijns ,

Yes, you can do this through automation. While not exactly the same, this sample rule from the library should give you an idea of how this can be achieved.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events