Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a user story in Jira Software from a ticket in Jira Service Management

Jacopo Salomone October 4, 2021

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if it possible to create a user story inside a Jira Software project starting from a ticket opened into Jira Service Management?

I'm introducing this product inside my organization and for sure this request will come and I would like to avoid a copy/paste situation.

I read that an automation is possible but it talks about turning every ticket into a story. Is it possible to maybe create a custom status and to automatize the creation of this kind of tickets into a user story?

Thank you in advance

2 answers

1 vote
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2021

Yes, it's possible. I suggest exploring the Jira automation template library to get familiar with what you can do with automation. You will find similar solutions to the one you're looking for - which will give you some insights into how to build your own. If you still face challenges getting your automation up and running, you can post the details of your implementation, and we can assist you further.

0 votes
John
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 6, 2021

Hi @Jacopo Salomone 

Yes you can create a new ticket in Jira Software when a Jira Service Management request moves into a certain status.

You can create the rule in project settings/automation and it might look something like this:

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 9.59.57 am.png

In the "create issue" action you set the project where you want to create the story. You can copy the value from the request using smart values {{issue.summary}} and {{issue.description}}.

I'd also suggest linking the tickets by adding a "link issue" action and setting it to "most recently created issue" (rather than trigger issue).

Hope that helps!

- John

Sheri Edwards February 11, 2022

Thanks John. Have you been able to pull the information from forms to the newly opened Jira Software story? In particular, we've been challenged with the fields not transitioning over if they do not have smart values. Or fields that are only part of a form. In addition, have you been able to write automation the other way, so that any updates on the JS story are automatically updated on the JSD ticket? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events