Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Request Automatically Assign Reporter

AJohnston May 2, 2022

I'm using Automation to create a second request when the first is created. The goal is that any given user can submit a request to access an application, and if it's a specific application, a second request is created on behalf of a selected user (like their manager). The problem I'm running into is that automation only allows the request's reporter to the user who initiated the request. Is there a way to automatically select the reporter based on a user's manager (selected by the user in the initiating request, or maybe selected through their profiles)?

Screenshot 2022-05-02 085717.png

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2022

Hi @AJohnston

are you familiar with Smart Values in Automation? Using Smart values, you could set the user based on e.g. some custom field in the first request, issue properties or a similar place.

Would that help?

Matthias.

AJohnston May 2, 2022

Thanks Matthias! Between your article and this one I was able to come up with this:

{
"fields": {
"reporter": id : "{{Manager Name.accountId}}"
}
}

However, because the value is supposed to come from the initiating request, I'm not sure this would work. I'm very green to Jira's way of doing things, so apologies for the noob questions.

AJohnston May 2, 2022

I can probably copy the value from the initiating request into this new one, and then use that value, but I don't know if that's the best way to do this.

Like Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ likes this
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2022

Hi @AJohnston

your rule could look like this:

Screenshot 2022-05-02 at 23.57.06.png

My example assumes that your user field in the initial request is named "User Field".

Best luck in creating your own automation/optimization.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Like AJohnston likes this
AJohnston May 2, 2022

Ahhhh! I didn't know I could do that! I thought I had to go below to enter variables! Thank you so much!

Like Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ likes this
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2022

I also only discovered it the other day.. 😊

Like AJohnston likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events