Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Jira automation based on Portal groups

Iris Ayelin August 7, 2022

Hi, 

I'm trying to create new automation based on Portal groups, that will change Request participants when a new issue is created. 

There is an option to do this? 

Thanks in advance

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2022

@Iris Ayelin 

I also agreed with what @Tansu Akdeniz stated, unfortunately it is not possible to achieve what you wanted with automation.

There was even an enhancement request to expose the portal group ID via JQL which was not being considered by Atlassian - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-3472.

The only recommendation that I can think of

1) Create separate request forms (even though they are the same in the setup), where you can then use automation to test against by the request form name.  If you want to keep the name being the same, then you will need to setup some type of field which you can pre-populate with certain values, then you can further search for it at the issue level to differentiate the different requests.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Iris Ayelin August 10, 2022

@Joseph Chung Yin 

Thank you for your response. 

I found that I can add 'Request type description' for every request form.

Do you know what is the smart value for a compare condition? 

request type desciption.pngcompare condition.png

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2022

@Iris Ayelin -

I am not quite understand your ask as you are trying to compart assignee.key with the request type description value?

With user object (Assignee) smart value properties are limited to the following - 

• accountId: the unique ID of the user, set by Jira. It is not possible to change this ID. Learn more about converting usernames to user account IDs.

• active: whether the user's account is active or not

• avatarUrls: provides access to the user's avatar images in sizes 16x16, 24x24, 32x32 & 48x48

• displayName: the full name in the user's profile

• emailAddress: the email address in the user's profile

• timeZone : the time zone based on the location set in the user's profile.

Need a bit more information.

Best, Joseph

Iris Ayelin August 15, 2022

@Joseph Chung Yin 

*The assignee.key in the picture is an example that came from Jira, I didn't write something there so its a blank (with an example built-in) 

I'll explain, I have a project with some portal groups that contain some request types.

Some of the request types have the same name but they are different. 

I want to create a new automatic rule that adds participants to specific Portal groups,

That is why I created this question in the first place. 

Unfortunately, as Tansu wrote there is no option to check portal groups in the automation rule directly
So I added a Request type description for the different requests to compare the description to a value, as you can see in the picture that I added.
but I didn't find how to call the description using the Smart Value in Jira

Thank you for your help! 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2022

@Iris Ayelin -

Unfortunately, Automation smart values doesn't have a way to obtain request type's description.  Here are the available options for smart values against Request Type -

{{issue.Request Type}}

Accesses information from Jira Service Management requests.

Available properties:

• {{issue.Request Type.requestType.name}} - Returns the customer request type.

• {{issue.Request Type.currentStatus.status}} - Returns the status of the current request.

• {{issue.Customer Request Type}} - Returns the customer request type for older Jira instances.

You will need to create a custom field and tag your request in different JSM projects, then use it to achieve your ask.

Best, Joseph

Iris Ayelin August 21, 2022

@Joseph Chung Yin 

Thank you so much for your help! 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 7, 2022

Hi @Iris Ayelin 

What do you mean by portal groups? You mean organizations?

Hi, 

Thank you for your quick reply

I mean this: 

Portal groups.png

Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 7, 2022

Ahh, got it. Portal groups can not be checked in automation rule directly. But you can check request types in these portals.

Go to project settings -> automation -> add rule.

Sample;

Ekran Resmi 2022-08-07 13.16.17.png

Yes, I know this option, but in my project I have the same request type name in different groups. 

For example:

Issue type.png

Do you have any idea for solution?

aweger December 8, 2022

^^ My situation is the same as Iris'; it would be very helpful to be able to access the Request Type GroupId here vs having to duplicate (and then maintain!) those separate request types.

Like Lise Wåsjø likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events