Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Custom Issue Type in Jira Work Management App

Ha Ke January 3, 2023

Hello,

I'm using Jira Work Management for project planning. I'd like to create different Issue screens by type of project. I created a new Issue Type and a screen configuration for it, but I don't see how to add the new Issue Type to the Create Issue screen and Issue Type field. See screenshot below. The only option for Issue Type is Task:

Screenshot.png

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2023

@Ha Ke -

Welcome to the community.  For Work Management projects, you should click on "Project settings" and then >> Under the Issue Types pane on the left-hand side and click on "Add issue type".

2023-01-03_17-33-38.png

NOTE - You can only create issue type on a per project base associated with the Work Management project type.  Where you will need to create the issue type via the following screen within each WM project -

2023-01-03_17-37-55.png

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Ha Ke January 3, 2023

I'm sorry - I forgot to mention I'd like to know how to add the new Issue Type at the global level (shown in the screen shot below under Settings Gear), not on a per project basis. The problem with the per project basis is that the Issue Type is only on that project. If I want the Issue Type on another project, I have to create it all over again there. And, if some of the values are the same, I need to make sure I spell them exactly the same way so duplicate field values are not created.  In sum, if we've got a lot of projects, every time we set up a new project, we have to add the new Issue type to it - and make sure values that should match across records are spelled exactly the same. Using the setup menu shown below should create a global Issue Type that I could apply to multiple projects:

Screenshot.png

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2023

@Ha Ke -

If your Jira Work Management projects are "Company Managed", then you can create issue types/screens configurations (global) etc and apply it to all the projects as needed.  Example - You can create an issue type scheme containing all of the issue types that you wanted, then just associate the scheme to your specific project(s).

2023-01-03_20-05-10.png

However, if your Work Management projects are "Team Managed", then it is not possible to apply something globally to those projects.

Hope this clarifies my previous statements.

Best, Joseph

Like # people like this
Ha Ke January 4, 2023

Thank you, I really appreciate your answers. Is there a way to change existing Team Managed projects to Company Managed? (I don't see this option in the Project settings.)  Or do I have to create those projects over from scratch?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2023

@Ha Ke -

You will need to create a company managed project and then you can migrate your issues hosted (if needed) in your team managed project over to the newly created project. 

Here is a link on migrating between team managed/company managed projects - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-team-managed-and-company-managed-projects/

Hope this helps.  Please click on Accept answer when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

Like Ha Ke likes this
Ha Ke January 4, 2023

Thanks for your help.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 4, 2023

Don't forget to click on Accept answer if my suggestions helped you.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events