Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying a project inheriting the settings from another one

oracle.paulo.fonseca July 5, 2022

I'm new to Jira and I'm still in my infancy using the product. My company has some projects created in Jira and I need to create a new project and inherit settings from another one. So I created a Software Development project but I don't find an option to inform the project from which I want to inherit the settings. I need help with a step by step.

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2022

Hi @oracle.paulo.fonseca ,

Hope you are doing well!!

Please follow the step below to of you want to create a project with a shared configuration with an existing project.

1. Click on create project button.

jira1.png

2. After clicking it will down the template based on product which have in your organization such as Jira software, Jira service management, etc. Once you chose any of the template it will list down sub templates at right side. for example I have selected Service management and ITSM.

jira 2.png

3. Click on use template and it will open new page where you need give the project name and Key and if you want to use the setting/configurations of existing project then click on the checkbox and search for the project. 

jira 3.png

4. Once you have selected the project, click on create project. You project will be created with same configuration.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mayur

Hi Mayur, thanks for your prompt response.

The project type is "Software Development" not "Service Management".

I got it. Thanks.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 5, 2022

Hey @oracle.paulo.fonseca

I'm happy to support you on this! :) Let me first explain that there's nothing like "inheriting" settings as you might expect in Jira. It's possible to create (company-managed) projects with a shared configuration. Some parts of the used configuration schemes (workflows, fields, permissions) will then be shared among those projects. I recommend diving into the documentation as well: Create a new project

You have no say in what should be shared during the project creation. The set of shared settings is fixed, but afterward, you can go and change everything as you wish. For example, associate a different workflow with the project instead of using the same workflow. Project configurations like components or versions will not be taken over. It only applies to global configurations. What settings would you like to inherit?

Best, Max

Hi Max, thanks for your prompt response.

I'd like to inherit Queues, Reports, Request types, People, SLAs, Automation, Components, Customer notifications, Language support and all global schemes, like issues types, fields, screens, workflows, permissions.

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2022

Hey Paulo, that's indeed very tricky. Most of what you mentioned has to be configured on a project basis and needs to be configured individually. What can be shared are the following configurations:

• issue types
  • workflows
  • screens
  • fields
  • permissions
  • notifications

Looking at the available solutions on the Atlassian Marketplace, like Configuration Manager for Jira (CMJ), you see that JSM projects are not yet supported, but support for them is on the roadmap. So maybe keep that app in mind for future use.

Max, thank you very much.

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events