Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect custom fields to organizations

Pim Vincentie December 12, 2022

Hi dear community, 

Have done some research but couldn't find a possible solution. 

I am trying to achieve the following:

• We have over 200 organizations.
  • Each organization can have 1-3 different unique services. These are specific to them.
  • I want to manage which organization (thus people) can select from which options.

I was thinking to connect a form to a request type. And then within that form, add the dropdown: services. Then make those services unique per organization. But i think its not possible to limit the choices based on the user's organization. 

Am I right or does anyone have a great alternative?   

Thanks! 

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2022

Hi @Pim Vincentie - You probably want to consider upgrading to Jira Premium so you can take advantage of Asset Management capability which would be able to address what you're trying to achieve.

Pim Vincentie December 15, 2022

Hi @Mark Segall 

thanks for your reponse! 

Might be an option indeed, but license fee tremendously increases then. Whereas we'd only look for an option to provide organizations a custom set of values to choose from (select their website and service). 

Maybe any solution with a custom field that you have experience with? Or is that not able to make that specific per organization?

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2022

The only way you'd be able to do this without Assets or some other marketplace add-on would be to split each organization into their own JSM project.  Then you'd be able to use a custom field with a context set for each project.  

However, this approach has its caveats:

• Unless you have a large team where individuals are dedicated to each organization, you'd be asking your team to monitor several queues, making that experience unusable - In this case, you'd probably need to change things up so that team members work off of a dashboard instead of the native queue experience.
  • Project security - You would have additional overhead of making sure that customers are only being granted access to the appropriate portal.  With more portals, it's very easy for someone to accidentally add the wrong organization/customer to the project.

I hope this helps

Pim Vincentie December 15, 2022

Thanks for thinking along!

Splitting in separate portals is indeed not a long-term solution. Since automation and SLA management should then also be done separately. And indeed the que 

I'll see if there is a third party add-on that might offer this. Case closed! 

Like Mark Segall likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events