Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure the screen for subtask issue types in a JSD/JSM project?

Nathan Given November 10, 2020

We are using Jira Service Desk (Jira Service Management) and we have customers using it.

For some of the requests that come in, we're creating a subtask to help track the work and assign that subtask out to a different team.

Unfortunately, when we try to edit the fields for this subtask, the "Configure" button is grayed out and we see this message:

"You can't configure the layout of an issue while it doesn't have a request type."

This is making it really hard for our agents to actually work and complete these subtasks because we can't configure the fields that they see (or don't see).

We've tried to create a request type associated with the subtask issue type for this project, but that doesn't work either: we can't directly create a request type that opens a subtask issue type (which makes sense: subtask issue types can't be unparented).

Thus: how do we configure the subtask issue type for this project?

(Note: we've already tried editing the screen, and that works for the old issue view, but those changes aren't persisting for the new issue view).

9 answers

5 votes
Alex February 22, 2021

Any update?

3 votes
Matthew Campo July 28, 2023

Bumping this. This is a big miss right now for our use cases, where we need to create subtasks from an original issue in JSM.

The fields I need to surface and re-arrange cannot be done so due to issue layout not being available for these subtasks 

Issue layout can only be accomplished in JSM if the issue has a request type - which requires a standard issue type.

Any guidance is appreciated

2 votes
Prathim Mukherjee June 3, 2023

This is so basic that is gone wrong team. You need to allow us to amend the fields and the look of the fields for sub-tasks. This shall be top of your priority as creating sub-tasks for requests is a very common practice, as there can be multiple teams involved to complete certain types of service requests and hence it shall be possible for us to set an issue layout for sub task to match what the customer wants.  How is something like this which is actually the basic part getting missed? Can you please prioritise this please?

2 votes
Eric Dagenais September 21, 2022

Still a problem for subtasks and any other issues we want to hide from client portal.

Any workaround ?

2 votes
beacon.grayson December 16, 2021

Having the same issue here. There needs to be a way to do subtask issue layout for JSM projects

1 vote
Matthew
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 26, 2024

Would like this addressed too. We log thousands of sub-tasks each year in our PMO and not being able to lay out the screen correctly is very annoying and inefficient.

0 votes
Patryk Mucha December 28, 2023

This may be a solution that works for some, as I ran into the same problem when establishing various sub-task issue types into a project.

To change what fields are displayed when viewing a sub-task, I create a Screen with the correct fields on it.

After I have the screen, I create a Screen Scheme that uses the created screen as it's default.

Then, I associate the sub-task issue type with the created Screen Scheme in my project's Issue Type Screen Scheme.

This allows me to modify what fields are seen when a sub-task is opened by changing what fields are on the screen I created originally.

Note: Fields in the default Field Tab that are not 'Paragraph' fields will be displayed under the Details section in the right-hand column. The workaround I have for that at the moment is to create a new tab on the screen next to the default tab and populating that with the fields. They display correctly in that tab.

0 votes
Jeret Shuck November 2, 2023

Also jumping here, looking for a fix.

0 votes
Meg Wedding November 8, 2022

This is a frustrating problem that I can't find a fix for... surely theres another workaround?? 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events