Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Company is looking to create a separate instance for all Service Desk projects

Max Orejola September 20, 2022

My company has been looking into way to cleanup our Jira instance. We are currently at 70+ software projects and 5 service desk projects. One of the ideas that is always brought up is to move all of the service desk projects to a new instance (eg. company-service.atlassian.com).

I know there can be complications in terms of user licensing (Double licensing, increased cost) and being able to move issues across areas. 

I would appreciate input from the community on possible solutions and best practices. 

1 comment

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 20, 2022

Hi @Max Orejola ,

Could you elaborate a bit on why you would need to move the projects in to seperate instances?

• Are they supporting different products/services?
  • Is the customer base different?
  • Are the administrators for these projects different users?

You mention double costs so the agents supporting the projects would mostly be the same I guess?

In general, there is no reason to split them in to multiple instances. 99% of the things can be covered by permission schemes, issue level security, non-shared workflows, correct division of the customers, ... etc... 

So I'd really love to learn more why you really wish to split them in to multiple instances instead of keeping them together in a single one?

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events