cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comment on issue before transition

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2022

Hello all!

Hopefully you can help me out with the following. 

I need to find a way to add a comment to an issue before the transition occurs. Let me elaborate. 

Agents can transfer issues to another department. This is done by setting a certain status, causing an automation to clone the issue to another project when it reaches the status. The original issue is then locked (comments are disable and it can no longer be edited). 

When the transition happens, we present a screen where agents can enter the reason for transferring. This comment is added without any errors. The automation that triggers on the transition should also add a comment, but I get the error message that I do not have permission to add the comment.

How can I make sure that the issue can be commented on by the automation before it is being locked?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2022

Hello @Paul Wiggers 

Can you show us the details of the automation rule and the details of the workflow transition that is triggering it?

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2022

@Trudy Claspill sure thing!

These are the details of the transition itself. Nothing special, just setting the resolution.

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 10-40-48 Transition Transfer to Customer Success - Jira.png

These are the details of the status

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 10-41-06 View Workflow Step Properties - Transferred to customer success - Jira.png

The automation is looking like this:
Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 10-33-05 Automation - Jira.png

I have also tried triggering on a status change instead of a transition, but this doesn't change the behavior.

This is what we are seeing in the automation log:

Screenshot 2022-12-01 at 10-42-31 Automation - Jira.png

Curious to hear what you think about this. Thanks in advance!

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2022

Hello @Paul Wiggers 

Who is the Actor for the rule? Is it "Automation for Jira"?

If so,

1. remove the status properties you already have for comments.

2. keep the property you have for jira.issue.editable

3. add a property to allow the Automation for Jira user to comment on the issue

Property key: jira.permission.comment.user
Property value: <id of the Automation for Jira user>

You can get the ID for the Automation for Jira user by going to the Advanced Issue Search screen, switch to JQL, then enter a criteria to search some User Picker field (i.e. Assignee) for the Automation for Jira user. After you select that user from the list of users the JQL will be changed to show the ID for the user.

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 9.09.44 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-01 at 9.09.54 AM.png

I tested this with a Manual trigger. It worked. While I (as a user) was unable to edit or comment on the issue, the Automation rule running as Automation for Jira was able to add a comment to the issue.

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2022

Hello Trudy,

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately this doesn't work. I still get the permission error after executing this. 

Just to make sure I understood you correctly; the only properties that I have available in the status are:

jira.issue.editable > false

jira.permission.comment.user > UserID

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2022

Yes, those are the correct properties.

UserID has the be the user id for the Actor of the rule that is trying to add the comment. Are you sure you have the correct user id?

That Actor also has to have the permission to Add Comments in the permission scheme assigned to the project.

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2022

Hello Trudy,

I have double checked the UserID by searching again. It is indeed the correct ID.

The automation has the right to comment since it can comment when the properties are removed. 

Any other ideas on how we can proceed with this?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events