Collaborators and Agents are both in the Service Desk Team role?

james_mckean November 2, 2021

I am working my way through the JSM Project Admin training and am confused by something.

I see the both collaborators and agents have different permissions but are assigned to the same role - Service Desk Team. This is a distinctly different use of the term "role" than I am used to.  Am I right in understanding that the difference is whether the user being added to the Service Desk Team has a JSM license or not? (Agents Yes, Collaborators No) 

If I look at the people page, there does not seem to be a way to tell agents from collaborators since they both have the same role.  How can I find, for instance, all my collaborators?

Thanks for any help

1 answer

3 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2021

@james_mckean -

Hi James:

Your understanding of the differences between Agent vs Collaborator are correct.  A collaborator can comment and access JSM issue via the project UI, but they are not able to edit the issues like an agent can perform.  Lastly, a typical collaborator is an Jira software user (i.e. someone from the development team) and assist the agents on issues hosted in JSM.

By default, all agents are a part of the jira-servicemanagement-users-<sitename> (global users role).  You should be able to see this role and identify if an user is an agent or not.  Please take a look at the following page for more information on the default groups/permissions - https://support.atlassian.com/user-management/docs/create-and-update-groups/

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2021

@james_mckean - 

If my answer helped your question, please take a moment to click on "Accept answer" button when you have a chance.  Thanks for your vote.

Best, Joseph

Jonathan Huet August 11, 2023

Is the name of the Jira group "jira-servicedesk-users" instead of "jira-servicemanagement-users-<sitename>"?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events