Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud to Cloud Merge

Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2022

The company I work for acquired another company. Each company has cloud instances of Jira & Confluence. We are looking to merge these into a single instance (using the acquiring companies instance). Based on my research, the cloud to cloud migration tool provided within Jira cloud does not support Service Management projects. There is also no cloud to cloud migration tool available for Confluence. Due to these factors, I am forced to use an alternative method. Based on these articles:
Jira: https://support.atlassian.com/migration/docs/compare-cloud-to-cloud-migration-methods-for-jira/
Confluence: https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/merge-multiple-confluence-cloud-sites/
the alternative option is to create a Data Center instance to use as an intermediary.

I created a VM on which I've installed Jira & Confluence Data Center instances. I then took backups of the source Jira & Confluence cloud instances. I then attempted to restore the Jira backup with the Jira DC instance. This is where I am now stuck. The restore gets to 90% and then I get a 500 error indicating a log referral number of: 206e30d5-68fa-42c6-8055-587d3237a041.

Screenshot 2022-09-14 122604.jpg

The log indicates that a database table was not found.

Screenshot 2022-09-14 125007.jpg

I've been following the steps found within this article (currently at step #4): https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/migrating-from-jira-cloud-to-server-applications-938846963.html

After running into this error, I figured I would see how it would go with Confluence. The restore seems to have worked, but I'm not sure how to log in now. I've been following the steps found within this article (currently at step #5): https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/migrate-from-confluence-cloud-to-server/. This step indicates having to make changes to the "setenv" file and manually starting Confluence. I cannot figure out how to manually start Confluence (not start the service). The documentation is not clear on exactly where to place the system property within the file, nor how to manually start Confluence.

Any help anyone could provide would be GREATLY appreciated. I did not realize a cloud to cloud merge would be so complicated. I honestly thought the cloud to cloud migration tool existed for this purpose. I wasn't aware that it had so many limitations and a method involving setting up a Data Center instance would be required.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

Hi @Gary Spross 

For your Jira issue, I see that you are using the H2 database that is really meant for evaluations.  For something like this, you really need an enterprise-class database (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server).

As far as Confluence is concerned, setenv.bat is located in the subdirectory where Confluence is installed.  The Linux default is /opt/atlassian/confluence/<confluence version> but if installing from an installer, it may ask you where to place the installation package.

Under that installation package, in that same bin subdirectory, there will be a shell script to start Confluence.  Run that script as the dedicated Confluence user account

# su - <Confluence user>

> /opt/atlassian/confluence/<version>/bin/start-confluence.sh

Hope this helps

Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2022

@Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_,

Thank you for the quick response. I was wondering if utilizing the embedded database would be an issue. I will give what you've suggested a try. Thanks so much for the input!

Like Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ likes this
Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2022

@[deleted]

Got a little bit further with the Jira data restore. After the data is restored and a reindex is being performed, the following error is thrown: 

2022-09-14 17:44:21,017-0700 http-nio-8080-exec-22 ERROR [c.a.j.web.servlet.InternalServerErrorServlet] {errorId=2e4a8dc1-bbd2-4d1d-8702-1405b147a2c9, interpretedMsg=, cause=java.lang.RuntimeException: javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Passed List had more than one value., stacktrace=java.lang.RuntimeException: javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Passed List had more than one value.

Doing some internet research, it seems to indicate duplicate values in the "jiraissue" table, but I'm not sure why that would be or how to determine what duplicates exist.

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

Yeah, you probably are looking at this knowledgebase article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-throws-caused-by-java-lang-illegalargumentexception-passed-list-had-more-than-one-value-when-viewing-an-issue-836601834.html

I don't know why.  I usually just fix them and go on my way.

Gary Spross
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2022

It ended up being 2 dashboards (that had been trashed in the cloud instance). The username values were null. Setting them to valid users corrected the issue and allowed me to access the UI. Thanks for all of your help!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events