Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing linked issues across Projects

František Vůjtek December 19, 2022

Hello, i could not find anything similar in previous questions, thats why im creating new thread.

I have an automation rule, which will close the linked tickets linked across the projects, thats good and its working well. But on that linked ticket i have more issues, which are linked on that issue as well and those tickets with different linking are not triggered by automation and not being marked as DONE. Do you know, what is the problem?

The thing is, we are using the ROHLIT Project for tickets, and then escalating them for developers as a clone to the ESC Ticket. When the escalated ticket is fixed. We want to close all the linked issues. The automation works for the linked issue which is on the screen, but then there are tickets which are linked on that original ticket and the automation does not trigger those ticket to be marked as DONE. Do you have any idea why?

Thanks!
linked_done3.pnglinked_done2.pnglinked_done.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2022

Hi @František Vůjtek 

Can I confirm that you have:

• Issues links directly to the ESC issue
  • Further issues linked to the "linked" issues above, which should also close (i.e a secondary sibling)

So when ESC closes, all the issues - either direct or indirect - should close?

Some basic questions first:

• Are the secondary linked issues all in the link type specified in the rule, i.e "Reproduced in"?
  • Are the secondary linked issues all in the one Project specific in the rule, i.e ROHLIT?
  • Does the latter rule have the "Allow rule trigger" checked to TRUE in Rule details?
  • What is shown on the audit log of the second rule (if anything)?

^ With this information, it should be possible to help replicate and resolve your need :)

Ste

František Vůjtek December 28, 2022

Hello @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 
The latter rule "allow rule trigger" was not checked.
Now we run out of multi project extensions and im not able to test it, because the operations are on zero :X 
There are more projects which should close all the attached tickets, do you think its possible to et the automation only for single project which will work across the projects? Or it needs to be multiproject?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2022

Hi @František Vůjtek 

I don't believe so - if you need a multi-Project rule to work consistently, you'll need more Automation executions to do this.

---

I did try this - I created a single-Project rule like this...

• Action: Scheduled 
    • Timeframe = Every 1 hour
    • JQL = issueLinkType "is blocked by" and resolution is EMPTY
  • Condition: Related Issues Condition
    • Related Issues = Linked Issues
    • Link Types = is blocked by
    • Condition = None match specified JQL
    • JQL = Resolution is EMPTY
  • Action: Transition Issue
    • Destination = Done

^ There were linked issues from multiple Projects linked to it. However, Automation only took into account linked issues within the same Project, and ignored the others, regardless of resolution.

---

So I'd recommend promoting your instance to the next plan tier, to get access to more executions!

There's some good information on how Automation works here:

And in terms of executions, these are the current Global/multi-Project limits per pricing tier:

• Free = 100 per month
  • Standard = 500 per month
  • Premium = 1000 per user, per month (eg. 200 users = 200,000 per month)
  • Enterprise = Unlimited

---

Let us know if you need any further help!

Ste

František Vůjtek December 29, 2022

Alright @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ Thank you so much.

I will try the settings when our executions will be refreshed and if it works, i will let you know!

Thank you!

0 votes
František Vůjtek January 2, 2023

@Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 
It works! Thanks so much!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin