Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close trigger issue when linked issue is Done

Derrick Robinson April 4, 2022

I've successfully created an automation for a Trigger issue (in project TGR) that creates a linked issue (in project DSI) & copies in the summary, description & blocks the trigger issue (in the TSR project).

Thus the trigger issue (in the TGR project) is blocked by the newly created issue (in the DSI project).

I would now like to setup an automation to close the trigger issue (from the TGR project) when the linked issue (in the DSI project) has been worked upon & transitions to Done.

However, this just doesn't seem right & I need some help / confirmation:

Screenshot 2022-04-04 194457.png

I reached out to Atlassian, but received this response:

Screenshot 2022-04-04 193759.png

Which doesn't provide the help I need, since I can't find a trigger for "When: A linked issues is transitioned".

I'm therefore reaching out to the community to see if someone can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks,

Derrick

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2022

Hi @Derrick Robinson 

I would suggest starting with an "issue transitioned" trigger and then checking for linked issue (with "linked issue" branch) for the required link type. Could look like similar to following:

image.png

Please let me know if this works.

Best
Stefan

Derrick Robinson April 5, 2022

Hi @Stefan Salzl

Thanks for your feedback. TL;DR = Yes it worked, eventually.

I had to change the Rule so that would work across multiple projects & then set a condition to check if the project equals TGR, so that it would only affect the TGR project and not all other projects:

Screenshot 2022-04-05 111404.png

So, the good news is that is working & huge thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Derrick

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Derrick Robinson April 5, 2022

I have a related question that my colleague asked in regards to closing only when ALL blocked tickets have been cleared i.e. the TGR project has two 'is blocked by' tickets: DSI-123 & DSI-456.

What would be the best way to only move the trigerring TGR ticket to Done only when ALL 'is blocked by' tickets are transitioned to Done?

Apologies if this is outside the remit of my initial question.

Thanks,

Derrick

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2022

Hi @Derrick Robinson 

Some time ago I built something that sounds similar to your mentioned requirement. Please see the attached screenshot (statuses might be updated according to your settings):

image.png

Please keep in mind:

this rule triggers everytime an issue is transitioned to done (in regard of some limits of rule executions depending on your pricing model)

Best
Stefan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events