Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloning the service request task to another project

Özge Özgenç December 22, 2022

I want to clone the incoming service management request to another project (kanban board) by automation.  To do this, both boards need to have the same issue type. When one is a different issue type that I created and the other is the default task, the content of the cloned task cannot be cloned. However, I cannot add the same issue type to the project where the tasks will be cloned, I can only create a new one. I don't know why. Maybe because it is team managed project. I would like to get your suggestions. Issue-type.pngIssue-type-2.png

I'm open to any suggestions. I need to clone service requests on a different project (kanban board).

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2022

Hello @Özge Özgenç 

Jira is trying to be helpful by providing you suggested issue types. You could select on of those and click Add to create it, or you can create an entirely new issue type. You just need to click on the Create issue type button. That will give you the option to create a new issue type and specify a new name for it. 

However, you may run into additional problems with your automation.

Team Managed projects do not share configuration elements with other projects. If you create fields in this project to match the field names in your Service project, Jira will not automatically map then to each other because they are considered different fields even if they have the same name.

I suspect you will have to use the Choose fields to set option and manually set the values in the new issue by referencing values in the trigger issue.

Özge Özgenç December 22, 2022

Hi @Trudy Claspill
Thank you for your answer. Like you said Jira just suggests issue types or allows you to create a completely new issue type. I wanted to add an existing issue type that I created and used in my service project. But that doesn't seem possible.

However, if I create a new issue type same as the existing issue type that I used in my service project. As you said, there will be configuration problems. This scenario doesn't seem functional either.

I am looking for a different solution because of these problems. I thought of this as a solution:

Instead of cloning with the same issue type, I wanted to clone with the default "task" issue type and link the request in the service project to the cloned issue. Thus, my team can see the request received from my main kanban board and can view the linked task by clicking on it to see the details.

But with automation, I could not link an issue in a service project to a task in another (kanban) project.

Jira-linked.png
Sorry for the long and complicated answer. I am open to your suggestions. How can I automate this? Or is there a more functional way to achieve my goal? Thank you for your answer in advance.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2022

What is the trigger for your automation rule? Is it some change to the Service project issue?

Because your destination project is a Team Managed project you will not be able to leverage custom issue types or fields directly that you created for other projects. It is the nature of Team Managed projects that their customizations are not available to other projects, and customizations from other projects are not available to them. Team Managed projects are meant to be isolated with regard to customizations.

With Automation you can create whatever type of task you want with the Clone project. Just specify that you want to create a Task type of issue.

Within the fields you set for the newly created issue you can add the link to the trigger issue.

Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 11.22.07 AM.png

The custom fields in your Service project will not be available to add directly to your Team Managed project. You can create new custom fields in your Team Managed project that correspond to the fields in the Service project, or you can map the data from the fields in the Service project issue to fields you already have in your Team Managed project. In either case you would use Smart Values to pick the data from the Service issue, as is shown in the Summary field above.

Özge Özgenç December 23, 2022

I got it and finally did it. Thank you a lot for your reply and effort. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events