Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check on whether "linked issues" exists on "issue created" trigger not working?

Meigy Tsai March 10, 2022

I created an automation rule where when a new Bug issue type is created, a clone of that issue gets created if there isn't one already linked during the creation step. (see attached screenshot.) However, when I create new issues - even if I fill in the linked issue field with a clone issue, I end up creating a 2nd clone (i.e. the newly created issue has 2 issues linked - one I linked manually and one newly created by the automation rule.) Is the linked issue field not saved until after the issue is created? How can I work around this behavior? Seems like a bug - am I doing something wrong?

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 12.13.01 PM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 10, 2022

Hi @Meigy Tsai - There is some credence to linking happening after issue creation and the possibility that the rule is triggering too quickly... For example, when you import issues, Jira is methodical about creation first then linking which makes sense because it needs the record created in order establish a link. 

So, with this said, there is an action called re-fetch issue data.  You may want to throw that in just before the "Linked Issues Not Present" condition.  Maybe by the time it gets there, it identifies that the link exists.

Meigy Tsai March 10, 2022

Thank you for the suggestion!

I added the additional re-fetch data step after "type equals". It still doesn't work. :( 

Is there a "after issue is created step" or something?

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2022

Can you share a screenshot of your "linked issues not present" condition setup?  The only other thing I can think of is that the condition is looking for BOTH "clones" and "is cloned by" links to be present which for your case, would always be true resulting in creating the cloned bug.

Meigy Tsai March 14, 2022

I had added that because it wasn't working. I've moved it now so the steps looks like this...  still does not work. The clone always get created.Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 2.43.24 PM.png

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 14, 2022

Just to make sure I'm checking all the boxes, can you please confirm whether the link you're creating is to an issue in the same project or another project?  If it's another project, you'll need to add that project to the rule scope.

Like denis.sheridan likes this
Meigy Tsai March 14, 2022

OMG! That was it! Thank you! :) I was cloning into another project and missed this part.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events