Cheat sheet on what to look at when manually cloning a Team Managed Project

Dave November 8, 2022

Edit: for "Jira Service Management projects."

I've asked several questions for an application on how to clone a project only to find out that none of them don't allow Team Managed Projects to be cloned.

The lead app I found requires the Project to be created first the data is pulled across which is configured by the user of what needs to come across.

In my search for an app I also discovered a ticket where users are asking for this feature to for 2 years to be added to Jira as standard. 

I need to create and configure the new project first then use an app to bring over the information. So I can test first before going to the live, 

Because I know the project, I want to clone was created by 3 staff in different locations adding to certain areas of the project.

I'm trying to find a simple solution on how to clone a Team Managed Project and what areas I need to look at.

My intention is to have the master project open on the right monitor with the new project on the left monitor. 

Q: Does anybody have a cheat sheet on what modules / areas I need to look at in a Team Managed Project to ensure the settings are mirrored.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 25, 2023

Hi @Dave,

I am Marlene from codefortynine.

It is now possible to clone team-managed projects with Deep Clone for Jira using the Advanced Project Clone.

You can find more details about how to enable it and known limitations in our documentation. 

If you have feedback or questions about this or any other feature of our app, don't hesitate to reach out to us. 

Dave January 26, 2023

Hi Marlene,

Thank you for the reply, that's awesome news, I'll talk to my manager and re-request Deep Clone to download the trial of Deep Clone, to see if I can progress a team-managed project cloning 

Once again that is great news that Deep Clone now allows this.

Kind Regards

Dave 

Dave January 26, 2023

Hi Marlene,

I'm just in the process of attempting to Clone a Team Managed Project (TMP) and read the limitations which mentions that Deep Clone can't clone a TMP as yet

1.png

Can you confirm that this is the case either way.

Many thanks

Dave January 29, 2023

@Marlene Kegel - codefortynine  - I started to progress this but  there seems to be a problem  with Cloning Team Managed Projects,

This is the message I get  

Unable to clone TMP.png

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 30, 2023

Hi @Dave,

I've just noticed that community post has the tag "Jira Service Management". I am very sorry, I overlooked that your question is related to Jira Service Management projects. 

It is possible to clone most team-managed project types (Software, Work Management, Product Discovery), but unfortunately not team-managed Jira Service Management projects.

Like Dave likes this
Dave January 30, 2023

Hi Marlene,

All good - in hindsight I should have included "Jira Service Management projects." in the ticket description.

Marketplace Partner
January 30, 2023

Thank you for your understanding, Dave.

If we release an update to clone team-managed JSM project I will update this post.

For anyone reading along: This limitation only applies to team-managed projects. Company-managed JSM projects can be cloned with Deep Clone for Jira. 

Like Dave likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events