Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing comment visibility without triggering e-mail notification edited action

James Paniagua November 28, 2022

On Jira Cloud / JSM, currently for a particular Service Mgmt project we change the visibility of all comments to "Share with customer" for transparency. This is done via this rule:

comment_visibility.png

However every time this rule runs, it also shows duplicate comment in the e-mail notifications.

comment_visibility_notification.png

Is there a way I can do this, perhaps via the API, without triggering the duplicate comment in the e-mail notification?

There are no checkboxes for this, because I'm not editing the issue.

Best regards,

James

2 answers

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 28, 2022

@James Paniagua -

Just want to confirm that you are asking to prevent the notification email from going out?  Am I  right?

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

James Paniagua November 29, 2022

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin ,

No, I want the notification but I don't want there to be the part that Automation for Jira edited the comment. Is this possible?

Thank you,

James

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2022

@James Paniagua -

Unfortunately, I don't it is possible since it is an action done against the existing Comment which it is an auditing event in the issue.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Hamza Chundrigar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2022

Hi @James Paniagua 

I'm not sure if I really understand your ask here. Do you not want to be notified when Automation for Jira edits the comment?

Moreover, the comment isn't being duplicated. It's being edited, which is the correct intended behavior as per your automation rule.

[...] because I'm not editing the issue.

Correct, you're not editing the issue, but Automation for Jira, the actor of the rule, is editing (the last comment) as per the configured rule.

I would also add an advanced compare condition where the rule would only run and update the visibility of the comment to external/public if it detects that a user has made an internal comment. The advanced compare condition would look something like:

{{comment.internal}} = true
James Paniagua November 28, 2022

Hi @Hamza Chundrigar

Yes I understand the comment isn't being duplicated, but it's shown twice in the notification, this comment edit action should be silent. Under edit issue automation, this is a controllable option:

edit_comment.pngIt appears the silent option isn't available for edit comment action.

Adding an advanced compare condition is a good idea, I will do that.

Regards,

James

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events