Cannot transition an issue via Rest API

Gerson Baires August 15, 2022

Hello, I'm trying to change the status of the Jira issue using postman, and I'm using the following URL: https://atlassian.net/rest/api/2/issue/{id o rissuekey}/transitions

Bu I'm getting the error:

{
    "errorMessages": [
        "Transition id '10194' is not valid for this issue."
    ],
    "errors": {}
}

I don't why I'm unable to perform the transition, also the 10194 is the Id for the status that I want to change, also i'm using the security token for the authorization, I map the Id using the: /rest/api/2/status and also the xml file 

update status.png

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2022

@Gerson Baires -

Welcome to the community.  You will have to review the WF setup in your project, to ensure that your current issue status do have an actual transition setup to the next status - where the transition object is your referenced ID.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Gerson Baires August 15, 2022

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin thank you for the fast reply,  I was able to map the IDs, but where I can find those IDs in the Workflow? because I got confused with the status IDs since the: /rest/api/2/issue/{id o rissuekey}/transitions,  display different ones, for example, 10282 and the ones that worked are 10, 13. 

Map id jira question.png

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2022

@Gerson Baires -

You will need to go to your project and access Project settings >> Workflows.  In the WF UI, identify the WF in question and click on Edit (pencil symbol) to check the WF -

2022-08-15_21-26-18.png

Once in the WF configuration UI - you can toggle between the Diagram or Text mode to view the WF details.  In the Text mode, you will find all the transitions + their associate transition ID.  Those are the ID that you need to use.  NOTE - Each transition associated with a WF of a project, their ID can be different for the other projects.

2022-08-15_21-27-29.png

In the Diagram mode, you will be able to see all the transitions from status to status in a visual mode.

2022-08-15_21-28-02.png

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

Like Gerson Baires likes this
Gerson Baires August 16, 2022

@Joseph Chung Yin   You're awesome!! thank you for the detailed explanation, I really appreciated , I will proceed as you explain, Thank you again.  😀

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events