Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot paste text from places such notepad and keep newlines

Pedro Vicente August 30, 2018

When users create tickets and need to copy text from another application such as Notepad if they try to paste using "CTRL + V", all new lines are stripped out.

If they do a right click on the mouse and "paste" the new lines are kept.

Example using "CTRL + V"

Long summary:Create an ubuntu installation with GNOME and XFCE4 desktops installed together (details below) and full disk encryption.What has to be done:Ubuntu with GNOME has to be installed first. When installing, choose options such that:-> The size of the all storage/mounts can be resized.

Example using "paste" with right click on mouse

Long summary:
Create an ubuntu installation with GNOME and XFCE4 desktops installed together (details below) and full disk encryption.
What has to be done:

Ubuntu with GNOME has to be installed first. When installing, choose options such that:
-> The size of the all storage/mounts can be resized.

This only occurs in the user portal (Service Desk).

Thanks in advance,

Pedro Vicente

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2018

Hi Pedro,

What browsers have the users been able to replicate this in, and what OS are they using?

Can you confirm that you're saying JSD needs to be installed on an Ubuntu server to replicate, or are you able to replicate with a test instance installed elsewhere?

Regards,

Shannon

Pedro Vicente August 30, 2018

Hi Shannon Spaniol,

My users and myself tested on Edge, Chrome, Firefox and the results we're always the same.

My installation was done in Windows Server 2016, I haven't installed on another VM the same product to understand if it as the same behaviour.

I can clone the VM and test whatever I need, if necessary.

Best Regards,

Pedro Vicente

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 31, 2018

Pedro,

In your initial post you mentioned testing it in Ubuntu but you're mentioning now that it's installed on Windows Server 2016. Can you just confirm which one is correct? 

What OS are your users using? Are they all on Windows 10? Have you been able to also replicate this on another OS? It seems like something else must be controlling the keyboard shortcut since it's working when you paste with right-click.

What other text editors have they tried? Does the same thing occur when pasting from Word, for example?

Regards,

Shannon

David Seebacher January 25, 2021

Hi Shannon,

sorry for grave digging this topic, but we had the same issue. In our tests it happens only using Firefox and plain text input using CTR+V.

• Win10, Firefox 80, Notepad, CTRL+V: no new lines
  • Win10, Firefox 80, textarea in ticket, CTRL+V: no new lines
  • Win10, Firefox 80, Word, CTRL+V: new lines
  • Win 10, Firefox 80, Notepad, mouse: new lines
  • Win 10, Chrome 87, Notepad, CTRL+V: new lines
  • Win 10, Firefox, Notepad, CTR+V on any other web site that uses a textarea: new lines

I hope that helps to find the bug.

Best Regards,

David

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events