Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get a Custom Field to appear in customer Request Form when associated to Screen

JM March 18, 2022

I want to create a new request type to insert an approvals step into a process.

There are a few custom fields that I need on the form, that I cannot figure out how to apply onto the Request Form. 

Issue Type: Service Request with Approvals associated to the 'Request Fulfillment' Screen Scheme

The Screen associated with this Issue Type includes the 'Deployment Type' custom field.

On edit, the issue was I needed to modify the context. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2022

Hi @JM 

I'm assuming based on your description this is a Company-managed Jira Service Management Project. In Team-managed, the instructions would be different (and you'd just be creating fields, not adding them from a screen).

You can clarify if it's Team or Company-managed from the bottom left-hand corner, where it will be written.

Request Type Edit

Just confirming first you know how to edit a request form. As a Project Admin...

• Go to your JSM Project, into Project Settings
  • Select Request Types from the left-hand menu
  • Select the appropriate Work Category/Request Type
  • Select the Request Form tab
  • Add fields to the form using the appropriate button

See more information on this help page.

If the field is missing though, this could be a range of things - including...

• Field is missing from the relevant screen
  • Field is missing or hidden on the field configuration
  • Field context is limited to other issue types

This is how I'd check each of these...

Screen / Field Configuration

You'll need to be a Project Admin, and then...

• Go to your JSM Project, into Project Settings
  • From the left-hand menu, select Request Types
    • Confirm which Issue Type is associated with the request type the field(s) need to be added to
  • Next, from the left-hand menu, select Issue Types
  • First, select the Field Configuration which is in line with the relevant issue type.
    • Search for a field, such as Deployment Type
    • Ensure the field is not hidden. If it's visible, it'll have a Hide hyperlink in the Actions column. If there is a Show hyperlink, then press it to unhide the field
  • Go back to the Issue Types screen, and next select the Screen Scheme
    • Open one screen, and ensure Deployment Type is on the screen. If it's missing, add it on
    • Repeat for each unique screen, against all issue operations

If the field is visible based on the field configuration and screens, but still not available, next I would check field contexts.

Field Context

Fields can be limited to specific Projects, or Issue Types.

To check if this has happened, you'll need to be a Product Admin, and then...

• Go to Jira Settings (cog icon in top-right corner) > Issues
  • Select Custom Fields from the left-hand menu
  • Search for a field - such as Deployment Type
  • On the right-hand side of the field's row, select the 3-dots icon, and choose Contexts and default values
  • You want to ensure that the field is either available to all Issue Types / Projects, or if it's limited, the relevant Issue Type / Project is included. If it's not...
    • Select Edit Configuration
    • Select applicable Issue Types or Projects from the lists
    • Press Modify

I'd check these first, and if none of these work - perhaps provide us with a few screenshots of the settings above, along with what field type the field is, and what kind of Project it is, so we can investigate further :)

Ste

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2022

@JM -

For the custom fields that you want to add to your Request From, they must first be included for your JSM project fields configuration scheme and screen configuration associated to your issue type.  Each request form is associated to a specific issue type

Once you verify that they are indeed available to your project, then you can then edit the expose the fields to your request form.

If you want to edit the field content "Deployment Type", then you need to make sure the it is added to the Agent view setup.  You will not be able to edit field (after the issue is created via the portal) via the request form.

To access Request Types for your JSM project -

1) Project settings > Request Types

2022-03-18_17-49-26.png

2) Click on the desired request type form (i.e. Fix an account problem)

3) Click on the "Request Form" tab and you can use the "Add a field" to expose the new field against the request form.  (this focuses on what your customer see via the portal UI.)

2022-03-18_17-53-54.png

4) You can also change the Agent view (This will be the screen where Agent see when accessing the issue created directly within the project UI.

If needed, please provide screenshot of your issue and clarify your exact ask, so I can properly to support your ask.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events