Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot find the Edit option or Operations column in User Management, in order to deactivate a user

Andrew Tyler August 25, 2020

I am trying to deactivate a user, following the instructions below that I have found in the Help section ...

Deactivate user in Jira instructions.PNG

... but there is no Operations column in which to find the Edit option? (see below for the screen that I see) ...

User Management options available to me.PNG

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong, please?

Thank you.

Regards, Andrew Tyler

1 answer

0 votes
Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2020

Hi @Andrew Tyler , would you mind linking the documentation you're using? Likely it's for Jira Server or just outdated.

If you would like to preserve an account on your instance but prevent the user from signing in with it, you can click on Revoke site access which is effectively the same as disabling the account.

If you would like to remove the account entirely, you can click on the user's info, and in their details page there is an option called Remove user underneath the ellipses menu.

This is the link that I found the instructions for deactivating a user.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Atlassian-Access-questions/Deactivate-User/qaq-p/1028571

I just don't seem to have the options that it mentions when I use the Jira Administration.

I shall use the 'Revoke site access' then, if that has the same effect as deactivating a user?

The ultimate aim is to free up a Jira licence as one of our users, who has been on secondment for five months and is now needing to use their Jira login again, gets a message:

You don't have access to costcutter.jira.com, because costcutter.jira.com has reached its license limit.

image001 (6).png

Michael Andolfatto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2020

Revoking site access will free up any licenses the user has allocated. You can verify this by clicking on Manage subscriptions in the Subscriptions & Billing menu.

It looks like the documentation you're referring to is specific to Managed Accounts. If you navigate to https://admin.atlassian.com/ and locate your directory, is there an option to select Managed accounts or does it say Verify your domains?

Hello, Michael

When I go to 'Billing', it says: Account is under external management.

I presume this means that revoking access for a user may not automatically reduce the number of licences used?

In answer to your second question, it says: 'Verify your domains' in the Atlassian administration screen.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events