Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you restrict access to a request type or issue type?

Amy Dudek March 29, 2018

My organization wants the ability for internal employees who have Service Desk access to be able to create feature requests, but we do not want our customers to see this request type when they submit a request through their portal. Is this possible, and how do I set this up?

8 answers

6 votes
Tom Jones [Appsvio]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 6, 2020

Hi Amy.

We released this feature as a part of the Feature Bundle for Jira Service Management. You can restrict access to request types based on Project Roles, Groups, Language, Time Zone, and SLA Calendars. More options will be available soon. This is a commercial app, however, I’m sure other features in the app are also useful.

In case of any questions feel free to contact us at support@appsvio.com

Cheers,

Jan Kczucha February 13, 2020

Everything looks nice but you could add condition based on Organization. Anyway, thanks for that!

Like Peter Clark likes this
Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2022

Support for organization is available in our app, so you can limit request types based on the customer's organization. Unfortunately, hiding request forms is available in server / data center version of our app. Due to technical limitations, we're not able to develop this functionality for cloud.

3 votes
Michael diLorenzo June 9, 2023

Save yourself some reading:  The answer is NO, you cannot hide specific request types from specific users or organizations in the portal.

Karolina Dylewicz October 19, 2023

this is a disaster

Sam Huawey November 10, 2023

Don't read that. Yes you can do that. Separate special requests to another project and add only specific customers to that project.

Michael diLorenzo November 10, 2023

The answer is no, you cannot hide specific request types from specific users or organizations in the portal.

Yes, you can create another project, but this creates another portal.

Like Jack Brickey likes this
flim November 28, 2023

I don't want to split into different projects in order to "restrict" customer access to certain request type, it is meaningless if the customer can see other projects in the portal.

There are shortcomings in the current Organization design, I think it should provide a way to associate request type to Organizations, in that case it will limit the access for request type automatically.

Most importantly, I cannot retrieve the Organization custom fields in the top menu bar -> Filters.

1 vote
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2018

Name the request type "Feature Request (Internal)" and add a description why. 

0 votes
Joseph Truhan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 8, 2023

There is no way to do this directly but there is a workaround through an automation. I needed only HR to have the ability to create employee onboarding tickets. I created an automation for that ticket type with a condition to delete the request automatically if the requestor was not a member of the HR group. 

0 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2023

Hi - I see lots of answers here but will pitch in too. What we did for this is we have an employees user group and we sync that group users with an employees organization via the API and only allow some Service Desks for the employees organization.

I wonder if it is available to hide specific request types for specific users groups or organizations? I would like to achieve this without an addon/app (no offence app users :) )

0 votes
Lisa Förstberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2022

This functionality is found in the Extension for  Jira Service Management App. Check out how to configure it in their documentation.

Swaroop Kumar November 30, 2022

unfortunately, their documentation doesn't show this feature explanation.

Lisa Förstberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 6, 2022

Hi Swaroop!

Here is the documentation: request type visibility. Unfortunately it seems to not be released on cloud yet.

@Deviniti Cloud might know more about this feature in cloud?

Br

Lisa

Swaroop Kumar December 6, 2022

Hi Lisa - Thanks for your reply! It looks like the "visibility" feature is not yet available for cloud version.

Swaroop Kumar December 12, 2022

I just found out that - you can make the request forms hidden from the customer portal by going to "Project settings -->click on the three dots beside the request form you want to hide --> On the next screen uncheck the request form". This will not display the form on the customer portal, but make it available only to your project

Like # people like this
0 votes
Anup
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2018
Yes, this is possible. You will need to create a security scheme with restrictions in place for specific Project Roles or Groups.

Refer -

For JIRA Cloud, https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-issue-level-security-776636711.html

For JIRA server, https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/configuring-issue-level-security-861253265.html
Amy Dudek March 29, 2018

I tried this and it seems like you can only configure issue level security by project (all issue types in one project) and not by individual issue types within the project. Is this not correct?

Anup
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2018

@Amy Dudek yes, and unfortunately Atlassian had a unfulfilling response to this years ago. See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-42116

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2018

@Amy Dudek, just create a Request Type (call it "Feature") and hide from portal under the request types screen.

Amy Dudek March 29, 2018

@Jack BrickeyThis solution will not work for us because our employees (service desk team) need to be able to submit feature requests on behalf of customers. Now when employees select the "raise request" button, they cannot see the feature request type.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2018

given that detail I can only suggest that the Agents will need to change the type based upon say the summary or description. In other words, I believe this is going to need to be managed by your Agents not employees that are Customers.

Like Yatish Madhav likes this
Angie Vonnahme May 24, 2018

@Jack Brickey - how do you select that request type to raise an issue on it then? IF its hidden from the portal?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2018

@Angie Vonnahme, as my followup suggests it cannot be done from the portal if you hide from the portal. As an agent you generally don't work in the portal you work in the application itself where the request type can easily be changed via the drop down. Hope this makes sense. Or consider Matt's suggestion and not hide.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events