cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you import dates into Created and Updated

Ste404
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2023

Hi there,

I am trying to import some incident data via a CSV into JSM.  I want to update the created and updated date but can't get them to stick.

I have checked and the date format in the csv d/mm/yyyy hh:mm is the same as Jira (I exported some issues) as well as in the import screen I am setting the date to be the same format.

There are no errors, I am just getting the current date and time of the import in the created and updated fields.

Any suggestions with this?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2023

You can only set the created date when importing new issues.  It's not editable in existing issues because it would be inaccurate to let you do so.

The updated date is a little different - it's calculated from the last change to the issue - in the code on server, it actually does import it.  But then it sets it to "now" because the import is an update!

Jira doesn't hold emails, but I think you mean the email address of the requestor.  It doesn't store that either, it expects the email address of the requestor to be in the directory entry for the requestor (reporter)

If your requestor/reporter does not exist in your user list, then the reporter field won't be set, but you could create a text custom field to import the requestor email address.

Ste404
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2023

ok thanks.  I have the created date working fine now so that is good and duh of course, why didn't I realise the updated date would be the date the record was created / updated in Jira..  facepalm moment there.

The email is a tricky one, will need to look at that more and yeh maybe store a specific email field for those ones where there is no stored 'reporter'.

Thanks

1 vote
Natalia Tomchyshyn April 6, 2023

Either you import via CSV or JSON, Jira will save only the updated date. So there's no way to add two dates due to the Jira's processes.

1 vote
Ste404
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2023

Also, if an issue has been emailed in by a project customer, where is Jira  holding that email.

This data has some customer records (requester and requestor email).  Requester I am mapping to reporter, but not sure what to do about the email?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events