Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you copy text value of a custom field and paste it to another custom field using automation?

Brandon Forslund April 26, 2024

Hello everyone, 

So I currently am working with 2 projects that sometimes bounce tickets back and forth  between each other. Within those tickets there is a custom text field that they use to help identify an issue. Both of the project utilize these fields but it turns out there are 2 of the exact same fields but of course both of the projects are using the opposite one. We want them to match so we are wanting to switch the field on one of the projects to match the other one but we don't wanna lose all the text that are within both of those custom fields. Is there a way to use an automation to simply copy all of the field value and then paste it in the other field value for each ticket? 

Below is a screenshot of the 2 fields

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 12.39.53 PM.pngWe want to copy the info from "Steps to reproduce" to "Steps to Reproduce" 

Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks in advance 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 30, 2024

Hi @Brandon Forslund

just as food for thought: Especially if this is a one-time thing, you may want to have a look at the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also allows bulk-editing fields via copy/paste, like so:

bulk-edit-user-to-assignee.gif

This works across fields (as shown above), and even between JXL and pretty much any other app (like Excel or Google Sheets), for any number of issues in one action - so you should be done with your work in no time. This all just works - i.e., there's no automation or scripting whatsoever required.

(I should add that JXL can do much more than that: From support for configurable issue hierarchies, to issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting.)

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

Brandon Forslund May 1, 2024

Hannes, 

This app is amazing! I used this and it worked perfectly 
Thank you

1 vote
Camilo Galleguillos April 26, 2024

Hi, @Brandon Forslund

It is possible to copy values from one field to another with automation. 

Screenshot_13.png

Still, rather than that automation approach, I would recommend merging both fields, which would improve your reporting and overall instance organization. To achieve it, you could:

• Select the field you are going to keep (Field A) and make sure it is added to both projects.
  • Generate a CSV export of all the issues containing information in the field you will delete (Field B).
  • Modify the file's corresponding header column from Field B to match the name of Field A.
  • Import the file. This will make all the issues have the values in Field A.
  • Once you confirm that all the values were imported to Field A, remove Field B.

Let me know if you need more assistance :)

Camilo Galleguillos R.

Vijay Dadi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2024

The solution provided by @Camilo Galleguillos  should work perfectly, try it out.

Vijay

Brandon Forslund April 29, 2024

@Camilo Galleguillos 

So I tried to do the CSV export but when I go to import it once I get to the mapping fields part. I am unable to continue I selected it so that it would copy it over but the next button is greyed out. Am I missing something? 

Let me know 

-Thanks

Brandon Forslund May 1, 2024

Never mind I did not know summary needed to be checked as well 

Thank you 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin