Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Find Custom Field ID's in Jira Service Management

ayoung November 3, 2023

I have been cloning issues between boards as follows: 

Jira Service Management (Company Owned) to Jira Work Management (Team Owned) 

I do not have Global Admin rights.  Just admin on the boards themselves. 

I have cloned fields across projects in the past using REST API or Inspecting elements to get my custom field ID's however, I cannot seem to do this on the Jira Service Management Project so that I can clone fields.  (I can clone the issue no problem) 

If I had the field ID's I know how to clone the fields but I can't seem to find them. This is all inspect element gives me for this custom field for example. 

Normally here I see {customfield_10918} for example and Description of Future State would be considered a field name, but the field ID seems to be missing. Any thoughts?

JSM_Inspect.jpg

2 answers

1 vote
Marcus Jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2023

Hi @ayoung

You should be able to get those by using the following url:

https://<yourinstance.atlassian.net>/rest/api/2/issue/<issuekey>?expand=names

Use an issue key from the project you want to clone from/to to ensure you capture the custom field ids.

~~Hope this helps :)

ayoung November 6, 2023

@Marcus Jones First of all this is amazing and I never knew about this shortcut for custom field ID's THANK YOU SO MUCH!

This link appears to only include fields that were created by our IT department under "fields" in project settings for use in all Service Projects vs. Fields that were created by adding fields to a Jira portal form on a service project. I

s there a way to do this same type of activity for those field types?

0 votes
Luka Hummel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 7, 2023

Hi @ayoung

If you are willing to use a third party app our Deep Clone for Jira could be a useful alternative for you. Deep Clone simplifies the cloning process, including the ability to clone custom fields without needing to know their specific IDs.

Here's how Deep Clone can assist you:

1. Custom Fields: When cloning an issue, Deep Clone automatically retrieves and clones all associated fields, including system fields and custom fields. The app handles the identification and transfer process, ensuring that all relevant data is cloned over to the new issue.

2. Board Admin Rights: Since you have admin rights on the boards themselves, you should be able to use Deep Clone for your cloning tasks. Deep Clone respects the existing permissions and roles within Jira, so your current level of access won't be an impediment.

3. Team-Owned Projects: Deep Clone is designed to work with various types of Jira projects, including team-managed and company-managed ones, which means it should fit right into your workflow without requiring global admin rights.

ayoung November 7, 2023

Thanks Luka, unfortunately as we have over 500 Jira users in our company and this problem only affects 2 projects of mine specifically, they would not approve an add on subscription to solve for this as it would be cost prohibitive 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events