Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can specific Jira Resolutions be assigned to only specified projects in the Jira instance?

Steve G January 15, 2022

Dear all,

* Our Jira instance has a few other projects in addition to the Jira Service Management project that I work with

* Hence, there are numerous different Resolutions available in our Jira instance, with some of these Resolutions each only applicable to to a subset of the projects in the Jira instance

* Yet, for example in our Jira Service Management project, the list of Resolutions to choose from contains all of the Resolutions that are in the entire Jira instance

* In other words, the Jira Service Management Project lists Resolutions that have no relevance to the Service Management project

* Is there a way to instead configure Jira so that only specified Resolutions appear in specified projects?

E.g.

Project A lists Resolutions 1, 2 & 3.

Project B lists Resoluitons 3, 4, 5 & 6.

Project C lists resolutions 2 & 6

* We run Jira Service Management 4.20.1

* Any help is appreciated

Regards,

Steve

4 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2022

@Steve G -

Yes, Here are more details when you modify the WF -

Before you conduct your modification, you will need to have a list of resolultion internal IDs.

1) Edit the specific WF associated to your project in question and go to the transition(s) where agents enter the resolution value.

2) Add new transition properites entry - "jira.field.resolution.exclude" with the resolution IDs that you want to exclude"  (see example below -)

2022-01-15_16-58-29.png

3) Remember to publish the WF after you are done.

NOTE - You can always just set a default resolution via your WF too, where agents don't select a value.  In any Jira Software/JSM project's WF (out of the box) is always setting resolution to "DONE" by default.  It seems your team has already customize the WFs to asking agents to enter the resolution value by selecting from the resolution option dropdown list.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2022

Hi @Steve G 

There is no resolution scheme yet for the project that allows you to set specific resolution for the project.

We can achieve this via the Workflow properties

You need to have a transition for the done status in workflow, add the transition property to restrict the needed resolutions in the workflow transition property. So if you have separate Workflows for each project you can achieve this

For more reference, please find the link here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/workflow-properties-938847526.html

Thanks,

Pramodh

0 votes
Steve G January 29, 2022

Dear all,

* I looked at the web page @Pramodh M was kind enough to post

Workflow properties | Administering Jira applications Data Center and Server 8.21 | Atlassian Documentation

* I was somewhat apprehensive from reading this comment:

"Please Note: Not everything on this page is recommended!

• We do not recommend using all of these types of workflow properties as we cannot guarantee that some data and operations (e.g. bulk operations) will not be broken. Hence, use these types of workflow properties at your own risk!"

* I thus decided not to go ahead with this

* I have instead logged this in the hope that the clever people at Atlassian may deliver some radio buttons to make it easy to assign specific Resolutions to specific projects

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-73230

Regards,

Steve

0 votes
Steve G January 20, 2022

Thanks @Pramodh M and @Joseph Chung Yin  for your obviously constructive answers.

Applying this is going to be a little more involved than I hoped for. That of course doesn't mean that it can't be achieved. It will though have to wait until I can clear sufficient time to focus on this more. 

Thanks again folks.

Regards,

Steve

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2022

@Steve G -

Glad to hear.  When you have a chance if you can click on Accept answer button when you have a chance for our original reply.

I am here to support you as needed.

Best, Joseph

Steve G January 28, 2022

Thanks Joseph,

Rgds,

Steve

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events