Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can site access be both the Jira Instance and the customer portal?

Fahad Akhtar December 12, 2023

Hi,

What is site access? What does it mean if a user has the Site Access enabled but is enabled for Agent and not Customer? What does it mean if a user has Site Access but it enabled for Customer and not Agent? For the latter, is it that the user is a customer, has a customer account, does not use up a license and only access to the portal? While the user with site access and enabled for Agent uses up a license and has access to the Jira instance? Please confirm all of these questions for me.

Thanks,
Fahad

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2023

Hi @Fahad Akhtar

It's exactly as you described. A customer has only access to the portal and consumes no license, while an agent has access to the Jira project and consumes a license.

You can find more information on the project roles in JSM here.

Hope this helps.

So site Access to an agent is the Jira Instance while Site Access to a customer is the portal, is that correct?

Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 12, 2023

@Fahad Akhtar As far as I know, there's no such thing as a "site access" for customers. Where did you see this term in connection with customers?

But yes, a customer has a "portal account", so they have only access to the portal.

Customer_Site_Access.PNG

When I log in as this customer I see they have access to the portal not the Jira instance that I and all my agents have access to.

Michel Neeser
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2023

@Fahad Akhtar As you already assumed, this flag just means that they have a portal account. It does not indicate actual site access to the Jira project.

Okay thank you for confirming. 

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2023

@Fahad Akhtar -

I agreed with @Michel Neeser suggested.  Site access, by default, it just means that one can access your site (it can be for Jira Software Application product and/or JSM proudct etc...).

For Jira Software Application, the person must have a license to this product.

For JSM, the person must have a license if he/she needs to access and handle the issues via the project UI (by default).  On the customer side, he/she, by default, only has access via the portal UI (aka portal account).

Hope this helps

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 12, 2023

@Fahad Akhtar -

If both of our suggestions helped you, please click on "Accept answer" to both of our answers, so others with similar asks will see both of our suggestions as answered postings.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events