Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can scanning a QR code create a Jira Service Management ticket?

Kathryn Gerrell April 6, 2023

Hi.  The objective I want to achieve is the following or get as close to it as possible - 

1. Ship devices out with QR code on packaging (we have Asset Management App)
  2. Internal/External engineer attends site with device ready to install
  3. Engineer scans QR code with mobile device
  4. A Jira Service Management Ticket (Cloud based Company Project) is auto created from scanning the QR code which the engineer is navigated to
  5. The Jira ticket is pre-populated with the device details & given the highest priority status
  6. Engineer is required to complete minimal specific details i.e. customer, site location, engineer contact details
  7. Helpdesk Agent picks up ticket immediately & contacts engineer on site to complete onboarding of device

The above is intended to prevent engineers conducting this type of install from waiting in any type of queue and to reduce manual input of device details.

Can anyone advise if this is possible within Jira Service Management or is there anything remotely close to this that I can implement instead?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Ryan Northfield _Mumo Systems_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2023

@Kathryn Gerrell 

This is not something that will be easy. The reason it won't be easy is because submitting an issue to a Jira Service Desk requires an HTTP POST request. QR codes are simply image versions of URLs, meaning they can only be used to submit HTTP GET requests. 

Therefore, the best way to achieve exactly what you want is to create your own website that receives GET requests and presents the prefilled form with minimal extra input required, and then on submission, submits them via the Jira REST API in the form of a POST request, with the necessary authentication.

Since this requires in-house software development, it may not be possible for you.

There is another option, however, that you could implement that would require some things you may not like and would take a lot of work, but it would work. You could create a request type for each asset. This would accomplish your goal because each request type can have pre-filled fields, and each one can have their own url that you can generate a QR code off of. There are some catches though.

1. If you have a lot of assets, then you will be creating a lot of different request types in order to have a unique url for each one. If creating a portal group to place all these in isn't what you want (visible to everyone who has access to that portal), then I suggest creating a new project with its own portal specifically dedicated to this. You could have a global automation run that moves the requests from this specially dedicated project into the desired project for processing if you wish. 
  2. If you don't want engineers to have to login before they can submit, you will have to open the entire Jira site (with all the portals in all the JSM projects in it) to allow users to submit tickets without logging in. You have options to add further security to the other portals, but it may not be in the way you want.
Kathryn Gerrell April 11, 2023

Hi @Ryan Northfield _Mumo Systems_ Thank you for your response.  Not necessarily the answer I was looking for!  Unfortunately creating a separate request type for each asset is not really viable as we're talking in the thousands and I don't think I will be able to source any in-house software development for this.

I was really hoping for a much more simpler approach to this, but it sounds like that may not be possible.  Back to the drawing board I think....

Thanks again for the comments.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events