Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can customers add 'reply to customer' comments?

Alexandra Astor October 10, 2022

We have two groups of customers, those in leadership roles and those that are independent contributors.  When we give these groups comment permission, they can only add internal comments.  Is there a way we can give them permission to use the 'reply to customer' comment option?

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2022

In order to reply to customer the user has to be an agent and be assigned a JSM license. If a customer is added as a request participants they can add replies via the Portal.

Is Service Desk Team the only role that can be used for an agent? Is there a way to give a group agent access to use the 'reply to customer' comment, but not the other Service Desk Team member permissions?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2022

You could give a group agent access to only use the reply to customer by giving them comment permission. What controls if you can reply to the customer is the JSM license.

Thank you!  I tried this but am still only getting the 'add internal note' option.  I really think that I was able to do this before, but now it isn't working.  Could there be another permission that is preventing it?  I'm at a loss.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2022

The user that you tested this with, are they assigned a JSM license?

Yes

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2022

The group/role that you gave comment permissions to, did you also give them Service Project Agent permissions?

I did not give the group access to the Service Desk Team role.  Is that what you mean?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2022

No, in the permission scheme there is project permission called Service Project Agent, this is what gives you access to interact with the customer, including reply to customer. You would also have to change other permissions so the specific group can only use the reply to customer and not be able to edit the request, change the status and other things.

I added the group to the Service Project Agent permission, but there is still only 'add internal note.'

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2022

So you may want to check if the user you are using have been assigned a JSM license or not.

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 1.54.42 PM.png

I just did a test in my sandbox and gave the Administrators role only access to browse projects, Service Project Agent, and Add Comments and I was able to still see reply to customer but was not able to do anything else. 

I confirmed they are assigned a JSM license.  Could you test have worked because it was the Administrators role?

Ah ha- I removed the Service Desk Agent permission, then added it again and it worked!! Thanks for all your help!

Like # people like this
1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2022

@Alexandra Astor -

I agreed with what @Mikael Sandberg stated in the thread.  Can you provide how your agents (one with JSM licenses) on the project role and permission assignments screenshots?

This will allow us to advise further.  Only agents (JSM licensed) users can reply to customers.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Sure!

Picture4.pngPicture3.pngPicture2.pngPicture1.png

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2022

@Alexandra Astor -

Can you try to give your group with the "Service Desk Team" project role since those users in your group are granted with JSM agent licenses as per your other replies?

NOTE - By default "Service Desk Team" project role members are the agents.  However, keep in mind that this project role also has other permissions against the specified JSM project.

Best, Joseph

I don't want to give the group access to the Service Desk Team, because that would include permissions they shouldn't have.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2022

@Alexandra Astor -

It is my understanding that Service Desk Team project role is the key and it is my design.  At this time, see if you can add your group to the project's permission scheme of the following permission -

2022-10-10_13-45-54.png

Again, I would also recommend you to contact Atlassian Support (https://support.atlassian.com) to confirm or they may have other solutions to address your ask.  On my end, I have not attempted/tested my above suggestion.

Best, Joseph

Thanks!  I tried that but it didn't work.  I will contact Atlassian Support.  Thanks again

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2022

@Alexandra Astor -

Based on your latest reply to us.  I am glad it worked.  Please click on Accept answer to our suggestions when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events