Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Jira parse inbound emails to assign a category

Penny Dutson January 14, 2022

We currently use Jira Service Management for internal users using the portal where we can control the data submitted and categorise as required.  We now are considering deploying to external clients who will send us emails.  Can Jira parse the Subject or body of an email to automatically categorise the type of query eg Payroll versus HR?  

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2022

You can use Automation to achieve this by looking for specific text within either the Summary (subject) or Description (body). However, it is important to realize that when doing this for issues raised by humans it may not always be reliable since humans aren't necessarily reliable when it comes to following rules. I use automation for this very thing however I primarily use it for where I inspect issues created by other software systems which can be made reliable. Below is a condition example of this.

8015BDE4-4CFF-4D5B-962D-A5EAD70D78AA.jpeg

Penny Dutson January 14, 2022

Thanks Jack and reading from the summary and description was how I thought it could work and agree there will still need to be manual intervention on many occasions due to the human factor.  Issue I can see with trying to assign a request type in this way will be if they include key words from more that one type!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events