Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Can Jira parse inbound emails to assign a category

We currently use Jira Service Management for internal users using the portal where we can control the data submitted and categorise as required.  We now are considering deploying to external clients who will send us emails.  Can Jira parse the Subject or body of an email to automatically categorise the type of query eg Payroll versus HR?  

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey Community Leader Jan 14, 2022

You can use Automation to achieve this by looking for specific text within either the Summary (subject) or Description (body). However, it is important to realize that when doing this for issues raised by humans it may not always be reliable since humans aren't necessarily reliable when it comes to following rules. I use automation for this very thing however I primarily use it for where I inspect issues created by other software systems which can be made reliable. Below is a condition example of this.

8015BDE4-4CFF-4D5B-962D-A5EAD70D78AA.jpeg

Thanks Jack and reading from the summary and description was how I thought it could work and agree there will still need to be manual intervention on many occasions due to the human factor.  Issue I can see with trying to assign a request type in this way will be if they include key words from more that one type!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Next level incident management in Jira Service Management

Hello Atlassian Community! We’re thrilled to announce some exciting changes to incident management in Jira Service Management Cloud, in order to give your teams extra muscle during incidents, and ...

1,539 views 20 12
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you