Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Jira be used to create tickets automatically via email?

Hassan Waheed June 3, 2022

someone continues to send me requests via email and doesn’t have Jira. It would save a lot of time if I could forward that email to Jira and have it create a ticket that I could later assign to someone.
I was reading this link - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-issues-and-comments-from-email/ - and wondering if it might be possible to set up one or more of our Jira boards. Few questions:
1. Would we have to create a separate email for each Jira board? for company, A,B and C?
1. How does an epic get set or is that not possible?
1. If we have a Jira user such as [xyz@abc.com](mailto:xyz@abc.com) and that person sends an email to create a ticket, is the ticket created with the correct Jira user, or is it just unassigned?

1 comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

1. Yes and no. 

A Jira Service Management project can only handle one email channel and that works with the requests, not the issues.

But yes, you can use email handlers to do this.  You can have many email handlers, all pointed at the same project and issue type.  These create and comment on issues though, not requests.

And not by board - boards are not containers for issues, they are a view of a selection.  An issue created by email will appear on a board if a board selects for it.

2. Email handlers can be configured to create any standard issue type (not sub-tasks, because Jira can't know which parent issue to create them under)

3. If it's all set up correctly, yes, the issue will be logged with the sender as the reporter (Assuming that they have a Jira account with that email address on it)

Like Curt Holley likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events