Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a custom field twice on a form

Steven Lees-Smith May 5, 2022

Hi there,

I am building some forms in JSM and have multiple needs to use the same custom fields on a form.

For example, Studio Location is a drop down (single choice) custom field and on forms I can use it twice for selections.  I have it twice on our travel ticket as the Leaving From Studio and Travelling To Studio.  I can't link it twice as the custom Jira field to be able to leverage the values stored on the custom field, do I need to create multiple of the same custom field to be able to show the same values in different drop downs.

This will be a head for some of the HR forms when there are referring to Current and New Production.

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2022

Hey @Steven Lees-Smith ,

Just a little question, are you using a Request Type or already building the form in the new Forms (old Proforma) format?

On a regular JSM Request Type you can indeed only use a custom field once. On the backend it is linked to a specific field there too so you cannot link a "placeholder field" twice to the same field on the backend field.

This would also mean that if you change 1 of the 2 fields on your form it would overwrite the field on the actual issue. 

Hence, yes you'll have to define 2 custom fields with most likely the same data behind it as you already mentioned with the Leaving from and Going to studio fields. If this was a single field this would not work on the backend issue screen itself as both fields would occupy the same field.

0 votes
KC Wong May 6, 2022

First define your location drop down list data using Script Runner's Script Editor. Then define two custom fields using Script Editor (Custom Picker), and reference the prepared script.

Script Runner has an example snippet called "Country picker". It retrieves data from a RESTful and provides functions to create a drop down list. You can modify it to provide your location options.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events