Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I group service tickets together under an epic?

Ásta Hrönn _RdN_ April 26, 2022

I am  wondering how service tickets show up in the regular jira environment. 

What I want to do is to group together under one epic all service tickets that come from a specific client. Can I configure service desk to do that?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2022

Hey @Ásta Hrönn _RdN_ ,

Normally an Epic is not part of a Service project but specific to a Software project.

I guess you could add the Epic issue type to a Service project but it seems a bit odd.

If you wish to group the tickets together you could just do that based on the 

• Reporter
  • Organisation
  • some other custom field

Or you could design your own issuetype to which you link your Service tickets. it depends a bit on what you wish to do with this next. I feel that grouping them under a global issue could work but it depends on what your use-case if further down the line on how I would approach this.

What I want to do is to make sure that all issues are linked to the correct client. I.e. if a client has the abbreviation PEN I want the service desk issue to have the same abbreviation if the ticket comes from that client. 

Secondly I want all issues that are related to that specific client to be grouped together, because I don't want any issues specific to a client to be without an epic. 

How do I do this?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2022

So am I right in assuming that you have both a Service Management project and a Software project?

For your first question having the ticket the same value as some abbreviation from the client you could do that thru an automation.

There is a custom field you can create call "Reporter Domain" which will automatically capture the email domain from the customer when they create a ticket. Alternatively you could have the customer fill out their company name/abbreviation on the request type (portal)

Secondly, having them grouped under an epic that is possible but for a Service management project, the concept of an Epic doesn't exist as it is not part of that issue type scheme. You could add it or add a new issue type under which to group them.

I hope I'm understanding your use case correctly.

Like Ásta Hrönn _RdN_ likes this

thx dirk

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events