Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I create an automation to auto assign subtasks to a group?

Evan Smith August 31, 2022

I've made an automation which clones an issue from our support helpdesk into a different project and deletes the helpdesk ticket. The cloned issue created two subtasks and I would like to automatically assign those subtasks to a group or list of users. The automation allows me to assign users at the issue level but I don't see a way to point it specifically at the subtask.  If there's any way to do this please let me know.

1 answer

0 votes
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

Hi @Evan Smith 

In general it´s also possible to assign users to subtasks the same way as standard-issue (on the parent level).

Could you please show a screenshot of your automation rule and where you got stuck as well as a screenshot of your subtask (maybe the subtask or its screen is configured in a way so that the assignee field is not available there).

Thanks in advance.

Best
Stefan

Evan Smith August 31, 2022

Hello @Stefan Salzl

Thanks for your help with this!

Here's my current automation. I added "Assign the Issue to" under the branching "for all created issues" and the automation runs without error but will not assign the subtasks to any of the users in the group. It only assigns a user to the parent task.

Screenshot 2022-08-31 130731.png

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Hi @Evan Smith 

OK. got it. Thanks for the further information.

The branch refers to "all issues that have been created before" in this rule. In your case this is the newly created task. So it takes all issues created before in this rule into scope and executes whatever is set within the rule on all those issues. 

eg. if you would have created 2 tasks before the rule subtask would be created within both of them.

Unfortunately if you add the assignee within the creation of the subtask you can´t choose the group option. This only belongs to the special assign user action.

Can the task that is created out of this rule be clearly identified (by any option)? In this case i would suggest to split this rule into 2 parts:

1. clone the issue from 1 project to the desired one and delete the original issue

2. within your target project set the trigger when the specific task is created, add the subtasks and then use a sub-task branch --> within the branch use the assign user issue as described in your original post

Hope this helps.

Best
Stefan

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders