Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Modify my Project key?

Ceejie Cecilia September 4, 2023

initially, Issue key are set to IT + sequencing number. I want to set my Issue key to 
IT(Primary key) + (today's date) + sequencing number.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Akbar Gulaliyev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2023

@Ceejie Cecilia here is another option that can help you:
Set automation rule - edit issue and add smart values {{issue.key}}-{{issue.created.shortDate}}
you will get KEY-000-9/5/23

Some info about representation of time and date values: Jira smart values - date and time | Cloud automation Cloud | Atlassian Support

Ceejie Cecilia September 5, 2023

Hi @Akbar Gulaliyev , Can you recommend what field to use?
My apologies, I'm quite new in this field.
Field.png

Akbar Gulaliyev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 5, 2023

@Ceejie Cecilia select the field where you want to store the issuekey+createddate (you can create just new text custom field for this).

0 votes
Marc Koppelaar - Devoteam
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 5, 2023

Hi @Ceejie Cecilia 

My first question would be why does your manager want this, the date the issue is created is already stored in Jira.

What would be the benefit to show this in the issue key, if it in any case would be possible, as this is not usable in JQL.

There is no way to change the issue key as it's also used as primary key in the database where all Jira information is stored

Ceejie Cecilia September 5, 2023

Hi @Marc Koppelaar - Devoteam , 

I already explained it but i guess that's really our management wants. If there's no way then I'll explain it to them that it is a limitation of this system. 
BTW, Thank you for this information. 

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 4, 2023

Hi @Ceejie Cecilia ,

Project Key or Issue Key?

Project Key

To change your company-managed project's key, you’ll need to contact a Jira administrator.

Only project admins can change project keys in team-managed projects.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/edit-a-projects-details/

Issue Key

You cannot manually maintain Issue Key.

Hi @Ollie Guan , I've edited my query. 
It is issue key. If there's no way I can modify the issue key (Primary + Date Today + Sequencing) I'll just inform my manager. BTW. Thank you for helping ! <3

0 votes
Akbar Gulaliyev
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2023

Hi @Ceejie Cecilia !

Unfortunately, you cannot change key that's generated automatically, but you can create a field where you can combine issue key and created date.

Hi @Akbar Gulaliyev , Can you teach me how? I'm currently implementing JIRA Service Desk in our company and the management would like to see the combination of issue key and created date.

Akbar Gulaliyev
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 4, 2023

@Ceejie Cecilia I don't have some ready script, but you can use these discussions for reference: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/how-to-get-issue-key-copied-to-custom-field/qaq-p/1415912 

UPD: Sorry, noticed that you have Cloud instance, so take it into account too.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events