Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Automation move a JSM ticket status to another status from Jira Software status change?

Chris Pfenninger October 18, 2022

Hello all, 

Can Jira Automation rules be used to move a Jira Service Management Ticket from one status to another status when a Jira Software story has its status updated?

Example:

• The end user creates a ticket via the customer portal for JSM, which automation copies and creates a new issue in a JS Project.
  • Internal Support moves the status of the JS Issue to "In Progress" and now automation moves the JSM Ticket to "In Progress" as well.
  • The Internal Support moves it several more times until the status "Ready to Deploy" is selected and now automation moves the ticket into "Awaiting Deployment".

I am trying to see if this is an option that Jira Automation can do or if this goes beyond the current capabilities it has.

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2022

@Chris Pfenninger -

It is possible if you established an issue link between your JSM issue and Jira issue, then you should be able to configure the rule to something like this example -

Background: 

• I have a JSM issue GIAPPSJSM-21 which has an issue link "is caused by" with a Jira software project issue zDemo2.
  • The automation rule below is a GLOBAL rule which covers both JSM (GIAPPSJSM) and Jira Software (MEG).  This is needed because we are triggering issue status changes between multiple projects
  • You will see that after the triggering event "Issue Transitioned" in the Jira software project (in the example - In progress to Done).  I am using "Branch rule / related issues" operation to obtained the JSM issue via the Linked Issue testing.
  • Lastly, I conduct an action to move the JSM issue to "Waiting For Customer".

2022-10-18_16-00-35.png

My example is triggering an JSM project issue moves when the linked Jira software project issue status is changed.  The overall concept will be the same in the other way around.

The key thing for you to know is that the rule needs to be for multiple projects.  Lastly, the basis of transition issue status using automation must be followed - https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/transition-an-issue-with-automation/

Hope this give you some ideas for your situation to consider.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Chris Pfenninger November 7, 2022

Thank you Joseph,

This worked well for us and allowed us to do what we were hoping to do

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL