Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculate total time spent on a ticket from Created to Resolved

John Scott January 20, 2022

I am hoping there is a simple way to calculate the time between when a ticket was created to when it was closed or resolved?  We have the default SLA's set which show if the resolution was within the SLA or not, but I would like to see total time as well

2022-01-20_14-06-23.png

8 answers

7 votes
Armand Luziau_Elements_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 20, 2022

Hey @John Scott ,

From my understanding of your use case, you should be able to calculate the time between a created ticket and a closed ticket by using the control chart provided by Atlassian.

If this doesn't help you, you should try the addon Time in status for Jira Cloud

Let me know if this helps you with your question.

Best,

Armand

6 votes
Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 21, 2022

Hi @John Scott 

For your issue, it will be helpful to find a lead time. Check out the following article:

3 tools to analyze Cycle and Lead Time in the Jira

I can suggest trying the Time in Status for Jira Cloud add-on developed by my SaaSJet team.

Get all Jira time spent reports in One Place

Monitor the team performance and overall project efficiency: how long it takes an assignee to complete a task where a process blockage exists when an assignee started the work what the time spent on all issues for a specific project is when tasks were turned to completion.

Visualize Data for Quick Analysis

Discover trends, risks, KPI stats, and opportunities with Time in Status graphical view. It’s a rapid way to keep your team informed. 3 types of charts are available: Pie, Bar, and Area chart. Charts for one issue.

Analyze Stronger with a Flexible Pivot Setup

Create customizable time reports for Jira with Pivot table view Set any combination of issue attributes. Get data in numerical or % perspective. Use Min/Max, Average, Median, Count, Sum math functions

I am available if necessary and will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

3 votes
Karolina Wons_SaaSJet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2022

Hello @John Scott 

To the list of solutions mentioned before, you can consider other:

Time between Statuses allows creating a timer to calculate the time between a ticket was in Waiting for support status for the first time and when it has gone to "Resolved" status for last time. In such way, you can get the time ticket was resolved.

tbs.png

With SLA Time and Report you can use the "Issue created" condition as a start timer, and status "Resolved" as a stop timer. So here an "Issue Created" feature gives the ability to track time right after the issue is created and isn't in a particular status yet.

2022-01-27_11-52-12.png

These 2 add-ons have been developed by my SaaSJet team. So if you need more detailed info, I'm glad to help you.

Hope you find it helpful

2 votes
Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2022

Hi @John Scott

If you want to do it for free, use Jira automation with the use of smart values and functions.  Use the following video tutorial: https://youtu.be/S2ary5YG-7w

Regards

Laura Lasser
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 29, 2023

This is exactly what I needed, thank you.

2 votes
Roberts Čāčus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2022

Hi @John Scott ,

A lot of great options have already been suggested by others. Suppose your Jira site already has eazyBI installed, or you want to give it a spin. In that case, you can list total or average resolution days for individual issues or a specific set of them.

You can find an example for the latter on the eazyBI Demo account - https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/cubes/Issues/reports/97436-issue-resolution-days-lead-time.

The JSM specific Demo account can be of interest to you as well - https://eazybi.com/accounts/1001/dashboards/8347-sla-overview. The eazyBI reports and dashboards you see in the Demo account can be transferred to your eazyBI in a few clicks.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211051/

Best,

Roberts // support@eazybi.com

2 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
January 21, 2022

Hi @John Scott

I guess you are trying to get a report of lead time. If so, you can have a look at the article below that includes details on how to get various lead time reports. Hope it helps.

Productivity Measurement with Two Critical Parameters: Cycle Time and Lead Time

2 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
January 21, 2022

Hi @John Scott 

If you are ok with a marketplace app to get this data you can try out our app.

Time in Status Reports 

The add-on provides the time in each status for the entire lifecycle of the issue and you can filter by issue type as well. You can also combine your statuses to define your lead/cycle/resolution time and also extract the transitions history of the issues. The main features of the app are as below

Also there is a report for the dates when issue transitioned from one status to another.

• Multiple Time in Status Reports. Excel Export available for all status reports.
    • Time in Status
    • Time with Assignee
    • Time in Status with Assignee
    • Time with Assignee per Status
    • Status/Assignee Count
    • Multiple Transition Reports
    • Avg Time in status reports
    • Status Change Dates Report
    • Time in Status Per Time Grain
    • Time with Assignee Per Time Grain
  • Status grouping
  • Save your reports
  • CSV Export
  • Multiple chart types
  • Dashboard Gadget

Disclaimer: I work for RVS, the vendor for this app, and I am one of the developers of the app.

TIS.PNG

John Scott January 21, 2022

This is definitely a cool app but it might be over kill for what I am trying to do which is just calculate the sum of time it took to work on a ticket from when it was opened to closed.  I also might not be using the app properly because I can't seem to figure that out

2 votes
Emre Toptancı [OBSS]
Marketplace Partner
January 20, 2022

Hello @John Scott ,

If you have Jira Software, the Control Chart that is available as part of Kanban boards might help you. It doesn't show individual issues and has limited flexibility but paints a good overall picture.

If you want more details and flexibility, our team at OBSS built Time in Status app for this exact need. It is available for Jira Server, Cloud, and Data Center. 

Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status and on each assignee. 

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_with Estimates.png  tisCloud_AssigneeDuration.png     

The app has Consolidated Columns feature. This feature allows you to combine the duration for multiple statuses into a single column and exclude unwanted ones. It is the most flexible way to get any measurement you might want. Measurements like Issue Age, Cycle Time, Lead Time, Resolution Time etc.

For all numeric report types, you can calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by the issue fields you select. For example total in-progress time per customer (organization) or average resolution time per week, month, issuetype, request type, etc. The ability to group by parts of dates (year, month, week, day, hour) is particularly useful here since it allows you to compare different time periods or see the trend.

tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Average_TimeGrouped.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well. It supports both Company Managed and Team Managed projects.

Time in Status reports can be accessed through its own reporting page, dashboard gadgets, and issue view screen tabs. All these options can provide both calculated data tables and charts.

And the app has a REST API so you can get the reports from Jira UI or via REST.

Gadget_AverageStatusDurationByComponent.png  tisCloud_StatusDuration_LeadTime_Chart.png

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example, see average InProgress time per project and per issue type.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX, or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API. (for integrations)
  • Visualize data with various chart types.
  • See Time in Status reports on Jira Dashboard gadgets

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1211756/

EmreT

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders