Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browse-Only Permissions for Group / Project Role

Emily Seage April 5, 2023

I'm trying to setup a new Project Role and/or group with 'browse-only' permissions. These are internal company users who have Jira accounts, but they are separate departments. I need them to see the JSM queue and individual tickets, but I cannot give them full Service Desk Team access. I do not want to take up the licensing spots and I do not want them to have full, complete access to the JSM project.

I've read through tons of posts about this already but nothing I do seems to work for this. This is what I've done so far:

1) Setup a new Project Role named 'Collaborator'.

2) Setup a new group called 'guest-group'.

3) Went to Edit Permissions and added both the 'Collaborator' Project Role and the 'guest-group' group to 'Browse Projects'. Note that this is the ONLY place where this project role and group are being used. It is setup like this:

img1.png

4) I went to 'People' in JSM and added a user to JSM by giving them the 'Collaborator' project role. 

5) I added the same user to the 'guest-group' group. 

6) I checked the 'Permissions Helper' to see if there were any obvious issues. All green check marks. 

However, the user still cannot access an issue if I provide them with a link to the ticket. Instead, it just takes them directly to the portal page as if they do not have access to see the queue or the ticket. 

Am I missing something? I'm sure there's a way to do this but I've tried everything I can think of. 

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

Hi @Emily Seage,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Have you verified that the user in question have a Jira license? If they do then they should not be redirected to the portal, instead they should get a permission error. If the user goes to Projects > View all projects and select Jira Service Management in the product drop-down field, do they see the project?

Emily Seage April 6, 2023

They do have a Jira license. They can see other projects on a different domain that we have, and they can access Confluence (Cloud) on the same domain where JSM exists. This is the only project they can't seem to access. But this is the only JSM / project that we have on this particular domain.

I will have them check the 'View All Projects' option to see if they can view the project from there. 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2023

Okay, so the user need to have a Jira license on the domain where your JSM project exists, licenses do not cross domains.

Okay, thanks for the information! I appreciate it. 

1 vote

Just as an aside: I should mention that this user does not have 'User' access to the JSM. For their user profile, they have 'None' access set for JSM. I assumed that giving them 'User' access to the JSM would affect the licensing and/or would give them too much access (which is not what we want). 

1 vote
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2023

Hi @Emily Seage ,

Does the users have Jira software product access? Are they able to see other Jira projects on the same site where your JSM resides?

-Ben

This is the only Jira project that we have on this site. We do have other projects which they can access, but they use a different domain. 

We do use Confluence (Cloud) on this same site, which the user can access just fine. 

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2023

Thanks. Then they're likely missing the Jira access as @Mikael Sandberg was mentioning. 

Correct, they don't need JSM. Please let us know how it goes.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events