Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to showcase a closed project?

Hassaan Khan June 10, 2022

Hey guys, 

I would like to showcase a closed project to my senior management. All my sprints are closed, and the backlog is empty. I can only see the project in Sprint Report, but that again is sprint by sprint. 

How can I showcase with Epic>Story>Tasks>Subtasks? 

They are more interested to see how I used Jira for the project. 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2022

Hi @Hassaan Khan,

That is an awesome idea! Yet, coming up with the idea after the project has ended, may cause you some headaches and a bit of work 😬 ...

For a full overview of how your project evolved, you could use the Cumulative Flow Diagram, which you should be able to find in your project board under Reports:

screenshot_JSW_Cumulative-Flow-Diagram.pngIt will show you how all your issues moved through the different statuses of your workflow over time.

Another interesting report that is capable of showing the entire timeline of your project is the Control chart:

screenshot_JSW_Classic_ControlChart_RollingAverage.pngThe chart displays your lead/cycle times throughout the process and could be very interesting to showcase how you have improved over time. If you are going to showcase stuff to senior management, let's hope you did improve over time 😅

Talking about that, there is one last report that could give you some interesting insights across your entire project. In a scrum project, you should be able to produce a Velocity chart:

Screenshot_JSW_Velocity_Chart_annotated.png

Again, let's hope you can show a positive trend when you want to present your project in retrospect ...

Apart from all that: I think you should prepare a presentation where you explain what your project was about, what the goals were and how you approached them in Jira:

• explain how you approached sprint planning;
  • discover what went well and what needs further improvement;
  • if you want to promote Jira to senior management, emphasize where the tool helped you discover problems and added clear value;
  • And finally, use data from specific sprints / retrospectives / ... to show examples of such wins along the way

Hope this helps!

Hassaan Khan June 12, 2022

Hi @Walter Buggenhout 

Thanks for providing me with these great insights. I can't use a velocity chart, because we never do story point estimations in most of our projects. We use Jira to track the progress, and report bugs. Yes, we do formal sprint planning where we check backlog but since we have a limited number of activities/tasks we can prioritize them in our meetings. 

But I think the other two charts, Cumulative flow, and Control Chart seems a nice way to present my work. Let me start exploring them, maybe I will ask a few more questions related. 

Regards.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2022

Hi @Hassaan Khan,

You are welcome; just one additional note: it is not necessary to use story point estimation to leverage the velocity chart. The commitment vs delivered metrics are derived from the estimation statistic you configure in the board settings.

If you estimate in hours, you can use original estimate as the estimation statistic. Or if you don't estimate at all, you can even use issue count.

To set the desired statistic, navigate to Board settings > Estimation and see where that gets you ... 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events