Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid re-creation of a deleted issue

ext_jepodola August 25, 2021

Hi!

In our project we tend to receive several issues via email that we don't want to measure as an issue in our project, so we proceed with manual removal. Just in case to clarify, there is no way to create an automation to avoid these issues to be created (no particular email address or subject), it is a decision taken by the agents after looking at the issue. 

Problem is if someone replies to the email that in the queue was deleted, then a new issue is created and we have again to remove it manually. We want to avoid this second re-creation of the issue.

Is there a way to sort this out?

Thanks in advance!

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2021

I can't see a way to do this with out-of-the-box functions, but I do have a way to stop the problem for new cases.

Stop deleting issues.  (It's probably the wrong thing to do anyway, as it's disconnecting the customer and it's impossible to get them back, but that's not what we're here for)

Create a new project called something obvious like "raised in error", "not going to do" or even just "trash" or "rubbish bin".  Move the issues into that.  Their issue key will changed, but when someone replies to an email, Jira will still recognise the issue is there, and route the email as a comment on to the issue in the new project.

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

Apologies, I don't know how to move issues to a new project. 

So when creating a new project, if I use the same connected email account I will duplicate the issues in this new project. But if I do not use the email account, how will the reply route the email as a comment on to the issue in the new project?

Thanks a lot

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2021

No problem - move is an option in the issue actions menu.  If you hit it, it will ask you for the target project and issue type.  To use it, you must have permission in the source project for "move issue" and "create issue" in the target.

Jira looks at the issue id to try to connect emails to their originating issue.  It also keeps a record of moved issues, so if I respond to an email about ABC-123, which has moved to DEF-456, it goes "oh, that moved, so Nic means to comment on DEF-456, as that's the new name"

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Amazing, I'll try that!

Thanks a lot

ext_jepodola August 27, 2021

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

I tried sending an email lets suppose to project A and issue created was A-1. I moved the issue to project B so now its issue B-1. But when commenting from the email again, instead of having a new comment in issue B-1, it created an issue A-2 with subject "RE:". 

Don't know how to do to avoid this. 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2021

Hi @ext_jepodola 

I agree to suggestion by @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- .  Deleting Issues are not recommended from best practices point of view, it's always advised to repurpose as suggested above. If the issue alias is updated after movement Jira will still recognise and update the comments.

Cheers

Suvradip

ext_jepodola August 26, 2021

@Suvradip Paul 

Thanks for your input Paul! I will proceed with the advise

Like Suvradip Paul likes this
Suvradip Paul
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2021

@ext_jepodola  - Please post here in case you see any further challenges. 

Stay safe and healthy.

Cheers

Suvradip

ext_jepodola August 27, 2021

Hi @Suvradip Paul ,

I tried sending an email lets suppose to project A and issue created was A-1. I moved the issue to project B so now its issue B-1. But when commenting from the email again, instead of having a new comment in issue B-1, it created an issue A-2 with subject "RE:". 

Don't know how to do to avoid this. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events