Autowatch not working when ticket is created through Service Desk

Heily Hindrea August 13, 2015

We have the autowatch feature enabled in JIRA Cloud. When people create tickets through JIRA then they are added as watchers through the issue. If this same person creates the ticket into the same project through JIRA Service Desk's Customer portal then the reporter is not automatically added as watcher

Any ideas how to fix that?

Oh and we are using JIRA and JIRA Service Desk in house, so everyone who has access to Service Desk can also access JIRA. 

Cheers, 

Heily

1 answer

0 votes
Heily Hindrea August 20, 2015

Ok, I figured that maybe it is this way because usually Customers are outside of the company and they should not be getting the issue field updates that are meaningful only to the agents. 

But, still. As I tested it out. If I added the reporter as a watcher manually then they did not get the issue field updates anyway. Probably the Service Desk Notification scheme is driving this behaviour.

For now I just created  the workaround - added a post function to our workflow, where the Reporter field value is copied to Watchers right after the ticket is created. Not the nicest way of solving the issue but still .. 

Why was this an issue?

Because on the System Dashboard we want all the tickets to show in in the Watcher Macro. All issues that you have somehow involvement - wether a reporter or watcher. And as JIRA already has the global configuration to add you as a watcher if you report a issue it mades since to continue to use the same logic also on the issue that are created through Service Desk. 

Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2015

Hello Helly, we just stumbled upon the same problem. In contrast to what you proposed, I get no notifications when I add the reporter as a watcher. JIRA Service Desk will nevertheless suppress notifications for a JIRA User, who is not only a SD customer but also a jira-user. Have you got any other news on this issue? Cheers, Kirstin

Heily Hindrea November 15, 2015

Hey Kristin! I decided to turn off the Service Desk notification all together. It made sense to just stay with the 'normal' JIRA notifications as we use the tool inside and two different types of notifications did not make sense to me. In your case.. yeah this is the thing. If SD notifications are enabled than it seems SD notifications are primary .. and some of the normal JIRA notifications on those tickets that were raised from SD are not fired. I was testing it out in different ways (although did not record all of my tests) and this is why I also made the decision to just switch off the SD notifications .. Hope this helps. Cheerio, Heily

Kirstin Seidel-Gebert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2015

Thanks, Heily.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events