Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation using JQL

Dylan Chadinha May 27, 2021

Hi All, 

I was wondering if someone could assist, I am trying to create an automation rule that looks for a specific custom filed called "Software issued" (Type - Select List (cascading)) , in this custom field if the user selects an option within the drop-down and it will show different details within each option.

So, the rule I have written is as follows;

When: Issue transitioned From "Pending" TO "In Progress"

(Branch)For Current issue

If: Issue matches JQL - project = "Project1" and Software issued[Select List (cascading)}" = "Option1"

Then: Create a new - Task in "Project2"

How am I able to include the custom field when the new call is created in the second project or is there an easier way of doing this? I am concerned that I may have written this wrong as the "JQL" will look for any calls that have been created with "Software issued" and create calls regardless of it showing up.

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2021

Hi, @Dylan Chadinha

First, you don't need the Branch option in this case; that's used when you're trying to perform actions on children (or other linked issues) of your current issue. 

If I'm understanding correctly, you want a new ticket created in Project 2 when an issue in Project 1 transitions to In Progress and has a specific dropdown value selected.

If that's correct, your rule setup would look something like this. This is an existing rule in my system, so it's not exact, but you get the idea. If your rule lives in Project 1 (instead of being a global rule) you don't need to check via JQL that project = Project 1, so you can just use an issue field condition to check the value of your dropdown field.

2021-05-27 19_09_10-Project automation - Jira Staging.png

If you want to include the value of that dropdown field on the new issue in Project 2, you can do that in the Action step. Assuming that field exists in the field configuration and on the task screen in Project 2, you can just select it from the Fields to Set dropdown and select Copy from Issue.

2021-05-27 19_26_22-Automation rules - Jira Staging.png

If the field doesn't exist on your destination project/screen, the rule will error out when it runs. If you want the value on the new issue but don't want to add the field itself, you can append it to another existing field, like the description field, with a smart value.

2021-05-27 19_29_28-Automation rules - Jira Staging.png

Dylan Chadinha May 27, 2021

Hi @Esther Strom ,

Thank-You for the comprehensive reply and guidance :)

However, I have tried to replicate the steps shown above and it seems like I cannot specify the custom field in "Issue fields condition". I have looked up the custom field and it's value on my side. 

Is it perhaps not possible using "Select list cascading" Custom Field - Software.JPGIssue field condition.JPGCreate issue - software.JPG

What I am trying to do works when I use "checkboxes" when creating a new custom field. However I would like to try it with a field that has different options e.g - 1st drop down - details pertaining to the 1st option, 2nd drop down - details pertaining to the 2nd option. 

Software Custom field parent.JPGSoftware Custom field.JPG

Thanks

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2021

I'm sorry I missed this! You're correct; I don't think this kind of rule works with cascading select lists. You might try contacting Atlassian support and reporting this as a technical issue; they may have more info.

Like Dylan Chadinha likes this
Dylan Chadinha June 10, 2021

Hi @Esther Strom ,

Thank-You again for your assistance.

Have a great day further.

Thanks

Like Esther Strom likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events