Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation: user is not a customer doesn't work

Peng Zhou March 14, 2022

Hi,

I set up automation to perform an action if the "initiator is not a customer". However it doesn't seem to work. I'm referring to customers who creates a ticket by mail.

photo.png

I don't know what the issue is. It seems that the action is able to perform if the "initiator is a customer". But they shouldn't be as I cleared the list in admin and the portal is open to anyone. Does anyone know what is the problem?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2022

Hi Peng, is it possible that this user has multiple roles and is also a customer? Check project settings > people. Have you tested with multiple customers?

Peng Zhou March 14, 2022

Hi Jack, thank you for your response.

The main portal for issuing tickets is by mail. Could this be the issue? 

Customer sends a ticket by mail and it should trigger this automation if they are not a customer.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 14, 2022

The channel should not effect that condition. Can you share what the automation log shows for the failed case? Project settings > automation > view logs.

Peng Zhou March 14, 2022

Initiator is not a customer - does not work (customer is new)

image.png

Initiator is a customer - does work (customer is new)

image.png

It looks like the initiator has been made a customer before the IF trigger is performed.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 14, 2022

Can you share the role of the initiator in the case of this log. Project settings > people?

Peng Zhou March 14, 2022

The initiator should be the customer. I also used reporter instead of initiator, but that didn't work as well.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 14, 2022

Thanks...

first you may wish to obfuscate any personal info. I assume the user/Reporter sending the email is one of the three shown above? I don't understand your last comment "the initiator should be the customer". My previous understanding was that a non-customer is sending an email to create an issue and that your automation rule was to create another issue if the initiator was not a customer. Just to be certain, is the Reporter field displaying the non-customer user? Finally what exactly happened when you used Reporter?

Peng Zhou March 14, 2022

This is what should happen:

1. Customer sends a mail which creates a ticket.

2. Automation: if it's a new customer (hence the automation: initiator/reporter is not a customer) an action should be performed.

So what you assumed was correct. However, it seems that the IF rule "initiator is not a customer" won't get triggered. It only gets triggered if I change the IF rule to "initiator is a customer".

I just want to be able to differ existing customers and new customers. If my rule is invalid, do you have an idea to how implement this?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 15, 2022

Ok so hang on a second. This info "I just want to be able to differ existing customers and new customers." is new and important. Your earlier info was saying that the user was not a customer but in fact they are customers and this is why the automation is not working for you. 

The user here is a customer, whether they are new and have never opened an issue until now or they were existing, they are still a customer as far as the automation condition is concerned.

So now let's look at your true requirement. You are trying to identify new customers. And by new I assume you mean this is the first issue that they have created. Assuming this is your goal you may find this article useful - Using-Automation-to-Screen-New-Customer . In this article I talk about how do use automation to identify and flag new customers. Once you have them identified/flagged then you can use that condition in an automation role to take an action.

In conclusion I think you were originally thinking of the automation condition  "initiator is not a customer" incorrectly because in your use case the user is a customer. I hope this makes sense.

Peng Zhou March 15, 2022

Thanks a lot man! Really appreciate this

Like Jack Brickey likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events