Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation to Lookup Object and Edit Object Attributes from Custom Field

thorngje December 15, 2021

I am attempting to update an Insight Object attribute using automation, however, get errors:

automation errors.png

Automation rule:

automation rule.png

Am I using the wrong syntax?  Appreciate any help on this... Thank you!

3 answers

2 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
thorngje December 20, 2021

Screenshot 2021-12-20 103410.png

Deleted user April 27, 2022

i'm trying to understand if i can call from automation for jira (for jira datacenter) an insight object and its property (in particular an email attribute that i need to send from automation for jira an email). has anyone ever had this need and solved it? I'm looking for information and examples from some time but I don't find valid examples. This example of yours seems to be only for cloud.

Pieter Wouter Hartog
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2023

Great tip! just what I needed.

For others: In case you can't find the 'Branch on IQL' like I did: Make sure you start with a 'Global' Jira Automation rule, not an Automation rule in you project settings.

odeds October 11, 2023

Just to clarify, after struggling substantial time to find how to update an Asset from a Scheduled trigger... the branch is named "Brach on AQL" (at least at Jira cloud) and available only when creating a rule for the "Global automation". 

Like Zeyn Suliman likes this
Zeyn Suliman December 13, 2023

@odeds  - similar struggle here. I couldn’t find the branch on aql for days! 
a question for you or anyone else…

Now that I’ve found the aql branch, I’m struggling with the syntax in the “edit object attribute” action after the branch on aql condition. I’m trying to automatically update an object attribute, Status - which uses the schema statuses, from “Assigned” to “Review” (which will be used to trigger an automated task creation). 

My problem is that I’ve only been able to successfully update the value of Status to null. The audit log is saying some errors, but the action details indicate it’s working, but not as I want.

Are you please able to share what you have used in the “edit” action to make this work? Cheers

Zeyn Suliman December 14, 2023

Never mind, I updated the attribute name and it worked fine. Might have been a random bug.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Charlie Gavey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 16, 2021

Hi there,

Here's some info on the correct syntax for using LookupObjects:

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-insight/#SmartvaluesInsight-Lookupobjects

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Charlie

0 votes
Iman Attia January 10, 2023

It uses IQL - write the query in Insight / Assets first, then paste your smart values

Eg.

"Assigned User" LIKE "{{issue.CustomField_11253.displayName}}" AND objectType in objectTypeAndChildren("Hardware") AND "Status" LIKE "In Use"

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events